What's the culture at this site?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

MajorJC

Too many hobbies... not enough time.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey don't hate on cheap hard cider 😄
My first ferment was when I turned 16 and got my first car that I paid for by working at Burger King.
I bought a wine making kit by mail order out of the classified section of "Boys Life" magazine. When it came in I drove about 30 miles to a U-pick muscadine farm and bought ten gallons of dark purple muscadines.
I juiced those and fermented them in a bucket with the skins on for primary and then racked it into a glass carboy for secondary ferment. That glass carboy was hidden in my bedroom closet behind my hanging clothes for 3 years until I moved out of my parents house. According to my memory, that was the best wine I've ever tasted before or since.

OP
OP
AndyInOregon

AndyInOregon

Reaction score
My first ferment was when I turned 16 and got my first car that I paid for by working at Burger King.
I bought a wine making kit by mail order out of the classified section of "Boys Life" magazine. When it came in I drove about 30 miles to a U-pick muscadine farm and bought ten gallons of dark purple muscadines.
I juiced those and fermented them in a bucket with the skins on for primary and then racked it into a glass carboy for secondary ferment. That glass carboy was hidden in my bedroom closet behind my hanging clothes for 3 years until I moved out of my parents house. According to my memory, that was the best wine I've ever tasted before or since.
Wow, awesome

OP
OP
AndyInOregon

AndyInOregon

Reaction score
hmm, i can brew for cheap and when i lived in mendo got an 8th for $4 of electricty...what do the a-hole pot growers got you paying?
$14 for 3.5 grams this time. Usually a little more. Government inspected for quality and it is high quality.

Smoking wild weed in the Himalayas is a great memory. But the legal stuff here is much better

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks all for the introduction to the culture here. Cool site👍

Do any of you actually grow your own tobacco? It's raunchy when it's green 😄
I have grown tobacco as an ornamental before (and hoping the rabbits would try to eat it and die) Curing tobacco to make it good for smoking is something I have an slight interest in but probably won't ever try. Mainly because I don't smoke 😂 I actually do smoke a cigar maybe once or twice per decade, and I bought a few pound of Amish cigar tobacco from Pennsylvania years ago after I watched Jimmy Stewart hand-rolling a cigar in (I think) "Shenandoah". I rolled and smoked a couple of cigarillos with it and I still have most of it in a box somewhere. It should still be good, although dried out. I should find it and sell it to a friend who smokes cigarettes now that they've gotten so expensive.

OP
OP
AndyInOregon

AndyInOregon

Reaction score
I have grown tobacco as an ornamental before (and hoping the rabbits would try to eat it and die) Curing tobacco to make it good for smoking is something I have an slight interest in but probably won't ever try. Mainly because I don't smoke 😂 I actually do smoke a cigar maybe once or twice per decade, and I bought a few pound of Amish cigar tobacco from Pennsylvania years ago after I watched Jimmy Stewart hand-rolling a cigar in (I think) "Shenandoah". I rolled and smoked a couple of cigarillos with it and I still have most of it in a box somewhere. It should still be good, although dried out. I should find it and sell it to a friend who smokes cigarettes now that they've gotten so expensive.
I love a good cigar. But I can't let myself get too used to them. I have enough habits already

Protos

Die Schwarzbier Polizei
Reaction score
Hopefully that's not a controversial subject here
😡

It is.
One of the reasons why this board is so cultured.

Kent88

Sometimes I have to remind myself
Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We talk about culture here sometimes.

As far as resurrecting old threads, just do yourself a favor and don't just read the thread, also check how recently the people who participated the most have checked in and/or posted. It isn't really a rule, just good practice if you don't want to be disappointed at a lack of responses.

Also, we have rules / terms of service, there is a link at the bottom of every page. One rule is against " soliciting or promoting any criminal activity;". Marijuana possession and use is becoming a legal grey area. Don't be surprised if you see your posts about it disappear.