whats the craziest thing you've ever looked at and said "yeah, I could ferment that"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just realized that the fruit tree in my back yard is full of edible fruit. something called a sapote i think. they taste like a mello cherry/pear. i'm fermenting that with cherries and apricots this afternoon. debating on making it a mead or a cider...

Ive thought about it from a chemistry / biology stand point and I think it would work, blood wine. take a volume of blood from whatever nonpoisonous / non-contaminated source and put it through a centrifuge to remove the proteins and blood cells then siphon off the serum and ferment that. blood serum I think is mostly sugar water with other nutrients it should ferment great once the immune system components are removed / killed. you might save the solids to add back after the fermentation is finished for a nice red-brown color.

I really hope someone has tried this.

jtvinny, slightly off-topic, but I saw King of Kong, and I wanted to punch that man (the one who is serving as your avatar) in the face the entire movie.

Me roommate's dad has in his cellar a bottle of Leopard Bone Wine. It includes fermented leopard bone marrow and sperm.

Me roommate's dad has in his cellar a bottle of Leopard Bone Wine. It includes fermented leopard bone marrow and sperm.

Yeah semen wine would be awesome!!!......

Oh wait, that's totally disgusting and revolting. That was it:tank: Dammit now I have semen wine in my cellar...

This reminds me of the sex panther scene from Anchor man.

"No really, it has bits of leopard in it, so you know its good"

LMFAO

I gotta say the blood idea is pretty freakin' disturbing... I don't care how many sugars there are in the plasma or whatever...

On a better note, check out this guy, Jack Keller: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

He seems to have made wine out of just about everything. MMM, Lettuce wine!

if you haven't made ice cream with your beer i really recommend you do it. Havn't tried it with a lighter beer but porter and stouts work great. Take a cup or so and boil it down to a syrup. Can also be thickened into some of the cream you'll use. I'd have to ask SWMBO for what exact method she used... She makes ice cream for a living :D

beets wouldn't be too tough to use... it's the most common natural ingredient used for red food coloring. instead of boiling your beets, get the juice and pasturize it. Might take some homework on your part but you can use lower temps for longer duration if the high temp is breaking apart the color. To get purple, you'd have to use a lot. Heck to get anything but pink you'd have to use a lot! Perhaps to get a purple beer brew up a pale ale and lightly toast some malt to get a reddish hue. Then in comes the beets!

if you haven't made ice cream with your beer i really recommend you do it. Havn't tried it with a lighter beer but porter and stouts work great. Take a cup or so and boil it down to a syrup. Can also be thickened into some of the cream you'll use. I'd have to ask SWMBO for what exact method she used... She makes ice cream for a living :D

I make a killer Caramel Guiness ice cream. Its rather heavy but makes for a good partner on Super Bowl Sunday which is when it typically gets consumed.

I want to ferment some Tang (the powdered veriety). I've long considered using it as an adjunct in a batch of Apfel Wein.

Come to think of it, I actually tried sweet tea once - the pre-sweetened fruit-flavored kind. It didn't work, though. Although the bottle didn't say anything about preservatives, I think their may have been some in there that killed the yeast. That or the tea itself killed it.

DiscoFetus, PLEASE give me the recipe for Carmel-Guiness ice cream. That sounds freakin' awesome.

Focus

If you've ever looked at a person and said "Yeah, I bet I could ferment that...", then you have a problem :D

I've been trying to figure out how to get a couple cases of KFC's Honey Sauce packets.

The ingredients are as follows:

High Fructose Corn Syrup
Sugar
Corn Sryup
Honey
Caramel color

my first wierd idea was Arizona arnald palmer lemonade ice tea. Then I realized, why not any of the other Arizona tea varieties? Why not some other soft drinks also? Never tried any of it though.

I really haven't fermented anything exciting. In fact, I popped into this thread only to see if landhoney had posted yet, and was not disappointed.

:mug:

I was draining my pasta yesterday and wondering to myself, "what is the OG of this starchy water that i am pouring down the sink. I should break out my hydrometer next time.

I've made wine from tangerines. It was quite tasty. I also did a garlic and onion wine. Not for drinking though... it makes the most amazing marinade. I was thinking about a garlic and onion beer with the same use in mind.

From BYO
(http://***********/stories/recipes/article/indices/51-recipe-exchange/1172-mountain-brew)
Mountain Brew
Issue Mar/Apr 2005
Online Date Friday, 29 April 2005

(5 gallons/19 L, extract with soda pop)

OG = 1.046 FG = 1.006 IBU = 19 SRM = 4 ABV = 5.2%

Jason Pavento wanted to combine his two favorite beverages, homebrew and Mountain Dew. His creation — Mountain Brew — does just that. We’ve fiddled with his procedures a bit, based on our own experimentation, but the ingredients are the same as his original recipe. The beer turns out light and crisp, with some aroma, but not much flavor from the Mountain Dew. And, in case you’re wondering, neither the preservatives or the caffeine seem to bother the yeast. Mountain Brew is also a very easy to make. So, to mangle a phrase from their ads — just brew it!
Ingredients

* 4.0 lbs. (1.8 kg) Muntons Extra Light dried malt extract
* 2.3 gallons (8.7 L) Mountain Dew
* (24 12-oz. cans of the soda)
* 4.5 AAU Northern Brewer hops (45 mins)
* (0.5 oz./14 g of 9% alpha acids)
* 2.25 AAU Northern Brewer hops (15 mins)
* (0.25 oz./7 g of 9% alpha acids)
* 1/2 tsp Irish moss
* 1/4 tsp yeast nutrients
* Danstar Manchester yeast
* 1.0 cup corn sugar (for priming)

Step by step

Pour Mountain Dew into a clean, sanitized brew bucket. (The soda should not have anything growing in it, so there’s no need to boil. You may want to wipe the lips of the cans with a paper towel soaked in sanitizing solution, though. Let it sit in the bucket (covered) as you boil the wort so the level of carbonation will decrease.) Bring 2.5 gallons (9.5 L) of water to a boil and stir in malt extract. Boil for 60 minutes, adding hops at the times indicated in the recipe. Add Irish moss with 15 minutes left in the boil. Cool wort and pour into Mountain Brew. (Watch for excessive foaming.) Top up to 5 gallons (19 L) with water. Aerate (again, watching for excessive foaming) and pitch yeast. Ferment at 68 °F (20 °C) for 1 week. Rack to secondary and age for 2 weeks, Bottle with corn sugar.
All-grain option:

Next time you make a light all-grain beer, such as a Kölsch, cream ale or light pale ale, make an extra 2.5 gallons (9.5 L) of wort. Combine 2.5 gallons (9.5 L) cooled wort with Mt. Dew and water to make 5 gallons (19 L).

(Adapted from Reader Recipe by Jason Pavento, found in Homebrew Nation, March-April 2002, p. 8.)

been thinking about using starfruit in a beer for a while now.

Back