What's The Closest European Equivalent To American 2-Row Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in every country instantly fill the "bum niche"

In my experience poor neighborhoods, regardless of race, tend to favor cheap booze among other things. Back in the 90's I could buy (2) 40oz Old English 800's for $3 USD. That's a lot of bang for your buck!! During this time I was slinging $2.99 pints at a microbrewery in a more affluent neighborhood.

Best of luck on your project!!! There is no shame in making beer regardless of style and preferences.

I find those exBEERiments (most of them) deeply depressing. Because 99% of time they come to the same conclusion: NOTHING MATTERS, as their test panel is rarely able to discern any differencies in ingredients and process anyway.

Well, that's only an interpretation of the results, and a rather statistically incorrect interpretation at that.
The xbmts are actually set up to prove that something does make a difference, and then they fail to do so. If an experiment fails to reach statistical significance, then it means exactly that: no statistically significant result has been obtained with respect to the null hypothesis. Being unable to refute the null hypothesis has nothing to do with proving the null hypothesis. It's entirely an "absence of proof, not proof of absence" thing.

Of course, "absence of proof" is better than its reputation: for example, I'm rather certain that there are no werewolves, and that belief is entirely based on absence of proof, not proof of absence.

To me, those xbmts mostly show how hard it is to actually taste anything. Homebrewers will discuss at length the merits of various brands of Pilsner malt, but in the end, it's really hard to even tell Pilsner malt from Pale malt.

Because 99% of time they come to the same conclusion: NOTHING MATTERS, as their test panel is rarely able to discern any differencies in ingredients and process anyway.

Well, that's only an interpretation of the results, and a rather statistically incorrect interpretation at that.
The xbmts are actually set up to prove that something does make a difference, and then they fail to do so. If an experiment fails to reach statistical significance, then it means exactly that: no statistically significant result has been obtained with respect to the null hypothesis. Being unable to refute the null hypothesis has nothing to do with proving the null hypothesis. It's entirely an "absence of proof, not proof of absence" thing.

Unfortunately, what @Protos said is what what casual readers (i.e. most readers) take away from these experiments. And Brulosophy apparently feels no need to help them understand what the results really (don't) mean. The hurdle of p=0.05 is great (maybe) when you're doing drug trials. But for beer differences, either the bar needs to be a little lower, or at least explain what the results mean and don't mean. That, and get bigger testing groups to develop some power.

It gets a little old when most of the triangle tests result in correct choices at a rate higher than expected by random chance, yet they get the standard "...indicating participants in this xBmt were unable to reliably distinguish..." blurb. I mean, if I could consistently manage those kind of results with beers that actually don't have any detectable differences, my ESP would make a killing in Vegas.

but in the end, it's really hard to even tell Pilsner malt from Pale malt
...which leads the thread to the logical conclusion: Mr. Protos, don't sweat too much about your Liquor Malt grainbill, just take any Malt that is not black, not moldy and has some converting power, RDWAHAHB and you're OK :)
Joking, of course.
There have been some brilliant answers and hints in this thread, and now I finally have my recipe ready for the brewing day.

Unfortunately I can't directly compare to 2-row but it might be wort looking into Lager malt.
It should be the British version of European Pilsner malt and has a similar color to what you are looking for and is not as flavourfull as MO.

I use the version from Swaen when brewing American beers that ask for 2-row.
They also have a Pilsner malt so their Lager malt should be signifficantly different.

Swaen-Lager.pdf (theswaen.com)

1645523649023.png

Back