What's eating my Perle leaves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WissahickonBrew

Reaction score
Eastern PA 2nd year grower. I have Centennial, Perle and Nugget climbing a 16' trellis. Centennial has just about reached the top and is robust and healthy. Nugget is almost as fast and is just as healthy. Perle is in the middle and started out fine but is showing signs of chewed leaves. Is there an insect that favors Perle over Nugget and Centennial?

I have trimmed the sucker growth from the base, fertilized judiciously with humus/manure.

Any advice or insight from your experience would be greatly appreciated!

:confused:

Sorry I don't have your answer as to preference of insects. However I can definitely agree with your observations. Here in Upstate NY the insects are preferring my Perle plant over every other variety I've planted (mt hood, galena, sterling, centennial, nugget, cascade, santiam). I too have trimmed the bottom leaves off.

I would spray ( I think) if I knew the culprit! I have my BS in Horticulture and I am aware of host specificity in feeding insects. I'm just stumped on the feeder's identity! (if in fact it's an insect chewing away!)

Sort of related topic... I strung the trellis with natural hemp twine and the vines are twirling nicely. Unfortunately a pair of nesting Orioles LOVE the strands of hemp fiber (making a nest?) and land on the vines and peel strands off!

I've cut 20 lengths and attached them to a nearby fence for them to pick away at! I hope this diverts their attention away from the trellis! :mug:

Sorry I don't have your answer as to preference of insects. However I can definitely agree with your observations. Here in Upstate NY the insects are preferring my Perle plant over every other variety I've planted (mt hood, galena, sterling, centennial, nugget, cascade, santiam). I too have trimmed the bottom leaves off.

I notice red wasp loves my hop leaves. No other bugs yet. The slugs and snails died off for some reason (natural virus/bacteria maybe). A Month ago saw them all in spread out groups dead. Weird.

Back