browning leaves, new hop grower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hurley195

Reaction score
Hello HBT! Need some help please! I am a new hop grower and have a few questions: I have browning leaves and also wonder about estimated water consumption and general fertilizing needs. I am in Wisconsin and my hops were started 1 year plants from Great Lakes Hops (Michigan) so I do believe my varieties can grow well here with the weather being very similar to where the plants came from.

2 Nugget, 2 Willamette, 1 Perle, 1 Centennial, 1 Glacier and 1 Mt. Hood.

All plants were leaved out when I recived them back in Mid-April, all appx. 1" - 2" tall. They looked healthy when recieved. I repoted them about a week after recieving (should have probably done that sooner but were still very wet..) However, They did very well in the new pots in our sky light "sun room" with a fan, short waterings every few days and around 60 to 65 degrees temp. About 3 weeks ago I started putting the pots outside during the day to get them used to outdoor weather (45 to 55 degrees daytime) and since it was getting down to 32 to 35 degrees at night I would bring them in. About two weeks ago I left them outside full time, 55 degree days and 38, 39 degree nights. Now temps are much nicer, 65 degree days and 45 degree nights and rising to normal spring/summer temps.. Bottom leaves started browing shortly after giving them a taste of the outdoors 3 weeks ago... Now they are planted as shown in the ground housed inside a 2'x2' box to help contain root base and have a nice landscape look.

Growth has slowed some and they started leaf browing a small amount about 3 weeks ago and looking much more brown in just the last few days.. Some are starting to train and others will be trained in a couple days. Selecting my best 3 bines to climb. Any thoughts on this browning leaves..? I dont think I am overwatering? maybe 1/2 gallon per plant every couple days or as needed. NOTE: If I can make a ball of soil stick together with a hand grip I don't water, If the soil is dry and crumbles apart I water. My soil around the root base box has had 4-5 handfuls of worm castings, 4-5 handfuls of coconut coir and some topsoil mended in. A light top dressing of maybe 1/2 cup of composted chicken manure which I think is 3-2-2 slow release non burning. Worm castings is 1-0-0 and also slow release non burning. I am thinking of making a worm casting/chicken manure tea to add with waterings occasionally or as needed.

Any info on the browning leaves, watering approximation and fertlizing tips will be much appreciated.

hops1.jpg

hops2.jpg

hops3.jpg

hops4.jpg

Try trimming the bottom leaves and see what happens I just pinch them off it should help., they look close to the ground from the pics.

I water every other day for 2 hrs with drip tape 1.4 gph. Fertilizer depends on how your soil tests every where is different. Ph is my big problem here keeping it around 6.0

Thanks for the ph tip. I trimmed some plants bottom leaves off. Not much changed with those particular bines, but look ok and are growing. What has surprised me is after a couple good rains and some nice sun the hops are doing much better. Maybe I was even underwatering even though my soil appeared wet engouh just below the top dirt. Any other tips for a beginner would be great. Thanks!

Hops are doing better, but couple more simple questions.. I pinched off the browning leaves near the bottom and it did not seem to effect the plant in any way. Infact, new growth and more new shoots have sprang back and they are now climbing up daily with new growth! Additionally, I was worried about 'overwatering' and it seems I may have even be 'underwatering'. Looks like a program of appx. 1/2 to 3/4 gallon every other day is doing good, mixed with some of the recent rain. We had heavy rains about 10 days ago they were much more green and looking more vigorous, so I think these hops will accept more water than I thought. Soil seems well drained in my yard, but not too sandy.

A question I now have is were I have pinched off the browning bottom leaves I now have new growth not in the form of a leaf but of a new bine coming off the main bine. Shall I just trim that off as well and keep the bottom 2 ft or so free of leaves and maintained throughout the season by regular trimming/stripping?

My ph is running about 7 to 7.3 after getting a tester.

That looks relatively normal. If this is your first year, I'd mostly just let them go, but in the future, you want to trim the lower five feet of everything.
Lowering soil Ph will probably help. I also found out my soil is low in phosphorus and potassium, so I've been using a 5 10 20 organic fertilizer that seems to keep my hops a little less brown.

Back