What's Brewing? January 2017

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Xposting. Racking w BrandoSF

C820FC4A-538D-4804-8EC0-2560D12F2C21_zps3dvafbbj.jpg

Brewed a Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy NEIPA with sacch trois today. First time using the yeast. Excited.

I just used it in my Dorado XPA. It's such a weird looking yeast. I wasn't sure it was actually going to ferment.

I fermented in the 60's (66-67) and got tons of mango/peach juice during fermentation but not much came out in the end. Still a great beer, but not quite what I was hoping for with the yeast. I'll try it again, but bring the temp up into the 70's. (Per white labs, ferment 70-85)

I just used it in my Dorado XPA. It's such a weird looking yeast. I wasn't sure it was actually going to ferment.

I fermented in the 60's (66-67) and got tons of mango/peach juice during fermentation but not much came out in the end. Still a great beer, but not quite what I was hoping for with the yeast. I'll try it again, but bring the temp up into the 70's. (Per white labs, ferment 70-85)

I'm letting mine rip at room temp, which is pretty cool right now, so fermentation might get up into the low-mid 70's. The purpose of this beer is actually to see if I can brew a good IPA while my fermentation chamber is full.

I'm letting mine rip at room temp, which is pretty cool right now, so fermentation might get up into the low-mid 70's. The purpose of this beer is actually to see if I can brew a good IPA while my fermentation chamber is full.

What's a fermentation chamber?

JK, I ferment everything at room temp. I think it should go well, enjoy!

Ditto. I use 1968 with my malty beers, would be nice to have something approaching a house strain. They just come out so well with 1318 I haven't been able to bring myself to switch. Maybe after competition is over.

Ditto. I use 1968 with my malty beers, would be nice to have something approaching a house strain. They just come out so well with 1318 I haven't been able to bring myself to switch. Maybe after competition is over.
The last several beers I made were fermented with 1318 so I wanted to give something else a try.

Stormy day here but I'm brewing up a cream ale. Going to hop it with some Belma and 007: Golden Hop (pretty sure this is just Idaho 7?).

It is Idaho 7.

I just started the 90min boil on Cream of 3 Crops. Pretty boring brew, first time playing with water chemistry though. Hopefully it turns out well.

Today with the help of a friend I was able to to make my 7th and 8th batch of beer.

geXa8FX.jpg

#7 All grain saison - Mash at 148, 90 minutes boil with just a touch of E Kent Golding for bittering at 60 and 1oz of Belma at 0. I'm fermenting with a built up funky starter from cantillon, De Garde, and Holy Mountain dregs along with some WLP566. My OG hit 1.066 so I'm happy with my starting point.

#8 WCIPA - mini mash (@154) extract IPA with a pound of (Dorado, Mosaic, Cascade, and Columbus). OG was 1.064 and I'm fermenting with WLP001.

Got 10 gallons of Berliner done on Saturday. Stuck with White Labs Berliner blend because it works for me, even if it does take 5 months to be ready. 100% DME, so quick brew day, including the 15 min boil.

5 gallons of IPA brewed up yesterday. Yeast Bay's Vermont Ale strain. 2row, maris, wheat, oats, acid malt, magnum, citra, mosaic, simcoe. Mostly late hopped.

Felt good to get things going again after 3 months off.

I have the day off Friday since it's my birthday. Time to burn through some Galaxy. I'm trying a Treehouse Green inspired recipe, haven't quite landed on the water profile or DH yet.

81% Golden Promise
6% Flaked Oats
6% Malted Oats
2% Carafoam
2% Honey Malt
3% Turbinado Sugar

60min - 3ml HopShot and 1oz Columbus (62ish-IBU)
Whirlpool 30min - 4oz Galaxy, 2oz Amarillo
London Ale III, ofc

I was thinking the same as the whirlpool for the DH but i'm also feeling a little frisky and thought about going two, 4:2 dry hops.

I have the day off Friday since it's my birthday. Time to burn through some Galaxy. I'm trying a Treehouse Green inspired recipe, haven't quite landed on the water profile or DH yet.

81% Golden Promise
6% Flaked Oats
6% Malted Oats
2% Carafoam
2% Honey Malt
3% Turbinado Sugar

60min - 3ml HopShot and 1oz Columbus (62ish-IBU)
Whirlpool 30min - 4oz Galaxy, 2oz Amarillo
London Ale III, ofc

I was thinking the same as the whirlpool for the DH but i'm also feeling a little frisky and thought about going two, 4:2 dry hops.

Brewed this on Friday . Had some effiency issues so I only ended up at 1.055 instead of 1.075. I said **** it and am going with 2x 4:2 dry hops. Just about 20oz of hops in total.

I just brewed my first beer ever. In laws got me a kit and I figured I'd have to start somewhere. I just used the amber extract kit that came with it and tweaked everything. Different Hops. Added more malts and WLP007 for the yeast. Hope it turns out alright but I'm not expecting too much out of my first. Hope to learn more and more with TB.

So for my first all grain beer I made a saison about 4 weeks ago. I pitched yeastbay's Saison Blend in a starter along with some SARA dregs. After two weeks the gravity dropped from 1066 to 1003 which surprised the hell out of me. I split it into 4 separate 1g carboys for secondary to do some experimenting.

1. Control
2. Dry hopped with 14g of Belma
3. Added Brett C.
4. Added Brett C. and 14g of Belma

I know how taste plays a large factor, but how long would you guys let it go in secondary?
I plan to keep the bottles and do side by sides over the next year.

C0B2eao.jpg

My second all grain saison had a pretty vigorous fermentation for the first 72hrs, but is spotty now on day 9. This one used WLP566 and a starter with a bunch of old Cantillon dregs, some 3F, and Holy Mountain. I need to wait until the IPA is out of my 5g before I can transfer this one, so it will be at least another 5 days. I thought my small fridge and chest freezer took up a took up a lot of room for housing my purchased beer... This wild home brewing is going to take up waaaaaaaaay more. My wife is going to hate me.

un01ZqM.jpg

I would have dry-hopped just prior to packaging but you still at least have that option.
He could package them all when the normal dry hopped one is ready and then just give the Brett bottles longer to condition and know that the Brett dry hopped will hold up longer.

I just brewed my first beer ever. In laws got me a kit and I figured I'd have to start somewhere. I just used the amber extract kit that came with it and tweaked everything. Different Hops. Added more malts and WLP007 for the yeast. Hope it turns out alright but I'm not expecting too much out of my first. Hope to learn more and more with TB.

Welcome to the addiction. Lots of knowledgeable people on the homebrewing forum here. My personal recommendation would be to go through these books as you start off.

How To Brew by John Palmer- First edition is free online. Covers all the essentials.
Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels- This book has two sections. The second half is all recipe/ingredient information on NHC entries from the 90s and as a result it's fairly outdated. The first half though goes through recipe construction in general and talks you through a lot of the numbers you see when recipes are discussed. It was super helpful for me when it came to getting myself comfortable with that aspect of homebrewing.

I'd also recommend sticking to proven recipes for your first few batches as you get comfortable with the process. There are a lot of different things that will impact the quality of your finished beer, but if you stick with known quality recipes you'll at least be able narrow down any issues to somewhere in your process rather than throwing together your own recipe and not knowing if it was doomed from the start. It's something I didn't do, and I know it stunted my growth as a brewer. Brewing Classic Styles is a solid book with a medal winning recipe for each category in the BJCP style guidelines, otherwise there are plenty of brewers here who are happy to share recipes and plenty of other resources out there in internetland.

Latest posts

Back