What's a good IBU for a black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drays14

Reaction score
Hey guys, what's a good IBU to shoot for a black IPA? I hear you want to be closer to 100 so the hops show through the malts. I just wanted to see if that is correct or if it would be overly bitter and I'd be making a black dipa.

The 2015 BJCP guidelines have a specialty IPA category (21B) with a subcategory for black IPAs. (http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf) The listed IBU range for Black IPA's is 50-90 (~10 higher than standard AIPA's), but my real answer is "USE ALL OF THE IBU'S!!!" :mug: I think the max amount you can really distinguish is ~85 IBU's, or at least you get seriously diminishing returns at that point.

Cheers!

Ok so don't go beneath 85? I had initially planned to use a combo of Galaxy, Comet and Apollo for this brew because I have a bunch already. Would you say citrusy or piney hops would play better with a black IPA. I usually am not a huge fan of black IPAs but I've brewed so many normal IPAs over the summer I'm looking to get some different taste profiles for this upcoming fall.

Ok so don't go beneath 85?

I think he was trying to say if you go over 85 or so you're probably not perceiving those extra IBU's. You usually want to take your OG into account - on the lower end go for lower IBU's, on the higher end higher IBU's. As far as style guideline if you look at the OG's they are not necessarily saying more IBU's than regular IPA, it's just the top end of OG is 1.085 for black and 1.070 for standard. If you look at double IPAs that go to 1.085 they list up to 120 IBU's - but of course no reason you necessarily need to follow any guidelines with your own beer. I'm also not a huge fan of black IPA's compared to other hoppy styles so take with a grain of salt but I kind of take the opposite approach - because the roast malt adds it's own bitterness I tend to aim for lower IBU's than with my regular IPA's.

Dude just brew it. Dont bother with IBUs. Put in whatever hops tickle your fancy at whatever time additions that have worked for you in the past. IBUs are stupid. Ive never taken a sip of beer I loved (or hated) and wondered "what are the IBUs on this?" It either seems bitter or it doesnt, who cares about some arbitrary number?

Dude just brew it. Dont bother with IBUs. Put in whatever hops tickle your fancy at whatever time additions that have worked for you in the past. IBUs are stupid. Ive never taken a sip of beer I loved (or hated) and wondered "what are the IBUs on this?" It either seems bitter or it doesnt, who cares about some arbitrary number?

Agreed in principle, but you need some reference point. If you brew a beer calculated to 20 IBU's that you were expecting IPA bitterness you're probably not going to be happy. Calculated numbers don't always correlate with perception for sure, but I think you can use them as a gauge. For example my beer always seem less bitter than the calculators suggest when I compare to commercial beers of the same level. But it seems to work for general reference - meaning I know what "60 IBU" or "40 IBU" is on my system is, so I can tailor beers based on what prior ones tasted like.

yeah depending on what calculator I use my IPAs are either like 20 IBUs or well over 200 so I just stopped caring about it. I use a pound or so after flameout for a 5gal batch so the actual bitterness extraction is hard to characterize numerically. I just know they taste pretty different than anythign ive tried

To a degree I get what you're saying, but you can't treat all hops equally as their bitterness all range differently. That's like adding an ounce of williamette vs adding an ounce of warrior. Totally different, I'm going to aim for around 85-90 on this one

I think he was trying to say if you go over 85 or so you're probably not perceiving those extra IBU's. You usually want to take your OG into account - on the lower end go for lower IBU's, on the higher end higher IBU's. As far as style guideline if you look at the OG's they are not necessarily saying more IBU's than regular IPA, it's just the top end of OG is 1.085 for black and 1.070 for standard. If you look at double IPAs that go to 1.085 they list up to 120 IBU's - but of course no reason you necessarily need to follow any guidelines with your own beer. I'm also not a huge fan of black IPA's compared to other hoppy styles so take with a grain of salt but I kind of take the opposite approach - because the roast malt adds it's own bitterness I tend to aim for lower IBU's than with my regular IPA's.

I'm not a huge black IPA fan either, but I'm kind of tired of the same old IPA. I figure maybe if I put in the effort I can appreciate black IPAs a little more. Thanks for the feedback

IBU's are just a number. Maybe a good reference point, and in your question you are actually asking about the balance between the bitterness and the malt character. But you really have to think in the terms of "perceived bitterness"
and have to consider the flavor and aroma your hop additions will bring to the beer. Here's John Palmer's take on perceived bitterness and IBU's:
http://byo.com/issues/item/199-behind-the-ibu-advanced-brewing

I think you should shoot on the lower end with like 50, but lots of late addition, flameout, and dry hops. I feel when the bitterness of the hops and the bitterness of the dark grains create an unwelcome astringency that can get worse if high levels of carbonation are added.

Back