What yeast would you recommend for this particular Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBrewForAll

Reaction score
Ok, so I have a recipe for this stout, but it does not recommend a particular yeast, it simply states to use an English Ale yeast. Here's the recipe.

Death Star Stout
This recipe is not only easy, but ****ing tasty as well:

Steep in 1 gallon of water at 165 degrees F for 30 minutes:
3/4 lb Roasted Barley
1/2 lb Crystal Malt
1/2 lb Chocolate Malt

Then add 2 gallons of water and
6.67 lbs of Dark Malt Extract (liquid)
6.67 lbs of Amber Malt Extract (liquid)

Bring to a boil, then add
1 oz of UK Target Hops
1 oz of UK Target Hops (20 minutes into boil)
1 oz of UK Target Hops (40 minutes into boil)
1 oz of Willamette Hops (50 minutes into boil)

transfer to Primary fermentation container, while straining, and add water and/or ice to get 5 gallons at 65-75 degrees F. Pitch English Ale yeast of your choice. Transfer to secondary fermentation container at 14 days. Bottle 3-4 weeks after secondary. Prime with either 1 and 1/4 cups of dry malt extract OR 3/4 cup of corn sugar. Rack and bottle. Age for 2 weeks to 2 months, depending on patience and taste.

EDIT: you can use fuggle hops, perferably English fuggles, instead of Target hops, as well as northern brewery or bullion hops.

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Sounds pretty tasty! :mug:

As you're using UK hops I'd say used Wyeast Irish Ale (#1084) or Wyeast London Ale (#1028.) Both good at high alcohol levels, though London I believe will give you more of a dry taste.

Good luck!:ban:

Thanks mate. My roommate and I only have experience brewing light ales, so we're kinda clueless.

Oh, and does the amount of malt extract seem like a lot? Compared to our last two brews, it's pretty extreme.

nottingham, or safale us-04 would good choices for dry yeast. for liquid I generally use white labs wlp001 or wlp005. That is a lot of extract, I'd plan on 2 packs of dry or a healthy starter for a liquid. mrmalty.com has a good yeast pitch calculator.

good name for the beer. funny i never thought of it.

That is a ton of extract! In Beersmith I get around 1.100....that's gonna take months to chill out and be smooth and drinkable. I would drop it down to about 8 lbs total which will give you a stout in the mid 1.060's which is plenty stong and rich for a drinkable stout. beyond that you're getting into a different category of almost syrupy thickness and the possibility of underattenuation and cloying sweetness. If you do decide to use the 13.5 lbs of extract, then you should make a huge-ass starter and plan on not drinking your brew for 6 months or more. good luck.

oh, and yeast type. You could use any of the liquid yeasts mentioned above (w/ starter) or you could use S-04 as well, two packets of S-04 will ferment the crap out of a 1.065 stout. I just did the same last week, actually, for an oatmeal stout. S-04 is an english type yeast, too (the whitbread strain, I believe).

Back