What will low temps due to my Tripel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triangulum33

Whenever it feels right!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed a 1.095 OG Tripel on Sunday with White Labs Trappist yeast. I shook the beer and pitched yeast from a 3L starter. It was bubbling within 6 hrs.

My concern is that during the day it is ~67* in the house, but from 11PM-6AM the furnace gets turned down and the temps can get down to around 57*

Should I be worried about this yeast attenuating all the way?

I don't like the temp to EVER drop while I'm fermenting... you don't want to put the yeast to sleep before they're finished. This is a recipe for incomplete attenuation.

You should buy a heating pad from the drugstore... the kind for injuries. They're about $16, and so easy to use to maintain temps.

You should definitely be worried about it attenuating. That low of a temp swing just ONCE could make your yeast stall out and it could be very difficult to bring them back. If you are going to be brewing, you shouldn't have that much of a temperature swing in your house.

Turn the heat up tightwad. Just kidding:D But seriously, you went to the trouble to brew a delicious Belgian beer, turn the heat up for a few days.

I don't like the temp to EVER drop while I'm fermenting... you don't want to put the yeast to sleep before they're finished. This is a recipe for incomplete attenuation.

You should buy a heating pad from the drugstore... the kind for injuries. They're about $16, and so easy to use to maintain temps.

I use one myself but it is old and a few people have posted that you have to watch out for the newer models that automatically turn off for you. Sigh....

I think I have the same belgian tripel recipe and yeast. What do you mean when you say you pitched the yeast from the 3L starter? The yeast vial said to let it sit out a couple hours before pitching? Thanks for helping out a noob

Well, now I'm real worried. I put it in on Sunday and had pretty what appeared to be pretty good activity, but the temp definitely did dip below 60* for a few hours each night. The Krauzen is falling down now and bubbles are every few seconds:

DSC05058.JPG

Should I re-pitch or do anything else? Or just go with it?

I use one myself but it is old and a few people have posted that you have to watch out for the newer models that automatically turn off for you. Sigh....

Do you guys have to worry about it over heating the beer?

I think I have the same belgian tripel recipe and yeast. What do you mean when you say you pitched the yeast from the 3L starter? The yeast vial said to let it sit out a couple hours before pitching? Thanks for helping out a noob

http://www.mrmalty.com has info on how to, how much and when to make starters.

Well, did the temperature of the beer drop, or just the ambient temperature? If the ambient temperature dropped 5 degrees, the beer might have only dropped a degree or two, if that. It takes a LONG time for 5 gallons of beer to change temperature!

For big Belgians I frequently like to start off on the cooler end of the range and slowly work up. Just finished racking to secondary a Belgian that went from 1.098 to 1.012 in a week or so under similar conditions (low of 65, avg. 70) using WLP 575. I'd try to keep it warmer but it should be fine.

When did you add the sugar, all at boil or some mid ferment?

Should be fine. Often I'll wait until mid ferment to add 1/4-1/2 of the sugar on a big Belgian...but I've had great results either way.

Should be fine. Often I'll wait until mid ferment to add 1/4-1/2 of the sugar on a big Belgian...but I've had great results either way.

+1 on this. There is also some good research (check the mad fermentationist) about adding the sugars at high krausen. I've done this and had great results.

Back