What was your first beer… ever?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coors pop top can. I was a sophomore in high school. c. 1973. I pretended to like it.
1655681436090.jpeg

Iroquois Beer, WNY, many, many moons ago.
And Carling's Red Cap.
Black Label
And Genny.

I can't remember, to be honest. I was about 4 years old and my parents had a party the night before. I got up early, as usual, and found all these unfinished drinks and big opened tins of Badger beer downstairs. I don't think I enjoyed any of them, but I tried quite a few anyway. I've always been open minded. At the breakfast table I was slapping cornflakes on my forehead apparently. Mum freaked out and called the doctor. He soon arrived at the door. After a brief examination he smelt my breath then told my parents I was drunk. He recommended I was put to bed until I sobered up. Apart from that there was the occasional sneaky swig of granddad's bitter down the social club, where he'd turn my lemonade into a bitter shandy, which got stronger the more I drank, the more it got topped up. The first beer I ever made was a 'continental lager' LME kit. Me and one of my school mates made it before his parents got home. We hid it in his garden shed. It was top secret. It was awful. I can still taste it, almost 40 years later. That's how bad it was. Fair play to us, though, we did finish it.
Great memory. You made me laugh. Picnic for me. I hid under the picnic table stealing beers.

Sixth grade. I lived on a dead-end street which bordered on miles of woodlands. A friend and I decided to pack lunches and go for a hike in the woods. In an attempt to impress him, (I felt he was far cooler than me), I snagged a can of my dad's Stegmaier beer from our fridge. We sat in the woods, far from civilization, eating sandwiches and sharing a beer that neither of us enjoyed.

Last edited:
First beer ever? Whew that was probably one of the el cheapo macro brews. I can't remember since that was many moons ago lol

Last edited:
Outside of taking sips from my dads’ Pabst Blue Ribbon as a youngster in the 70s, first teenage beer was Blatz.

My dad rarely drank alcohol when I was a kid, but for whatever reason one Saturday afternoon he was drinking a budweiser while watching sports... I'm not sure how old I was but somewhere between 6-10 years old, I asked for a sip, it tasted like the fuzzy end of gym socks that were left in someone's locker for a year.

I asked my dad how anyone could drink that stuff... He said it's an acquired taste... A taste I was determined never to acquire...

I didn't have another beer (or any alcohol for that matter) until I was 23. At a bar in Chicago a buddy bought me a New Castle brown ale. It was love at first taste. It made me feel amazing, I was hooked.

I mostly avoided pale lagers and drank specialty beers until I move to the Czech Republic and had a fresh pilsner Urquell... Where had that been my whole life?!

My last doorway beer was boucanier red ale. That's when I discovered beer could carry so many variety of flavors. And my craft beer world was open....

The first time I had homebrew was my own. I had never met another homebrewer before that... But my first batch was great and I've been hooked ever since.

Probably too much info here but it was great to read all your posts, thanks for the great stories.

I think it was Michelob. I never drank in high school, and this was at a 4th of July party in between high school and college (an "adult" party, not like my friends and stuff). I remember drinking it just fine, but thinking "this is beer? What's the big deal?".

I was a late bloomer in that I never drank beer in high school. And my dad doesn't drink either, so I never had that opportunity. He doesn't have a problem with it, he just doesn't bother drinking beer.

But my first weekend in college, my neighbor in the dorms handed me a Budweiser. Just a regular old Budweiser. It was not as sweet or as fizzy as I was expecting, But I really liked it. I've mostly moved on from the BMC's of the world, but a classic Bud still tastes good to me, over 20 years later.

I too was an army brat. This is one of the earliest pictures of me with a beer. Looks like a Budweiser. I remember sneaking sips of Heineken's and Budweisers when i was younger. First beer i think I ever had on my own was a Sam Adams Boston Lager or Corona or Heineken. Really Cant recall.

18741_241449610810_7393679_n.jpg

First sip had to be Genny Cream Ale. Probably 5-6. Old man used to drink them in the old returnable bottles. I remember we had our own 4-6oz pewter beer mug he kept in the freezer and would give us sips in.

First beer to myself was probably 11-12 at my sisters apartment when she was having a party. He own roommate every time he saw me would ask where my beer was. I don’t know how many Mickeys Big Mouth bottles I drank that night. Good times.

My Dad's home brew. He used Blue Ribbon malt extract, bread yeast, white sugar and dried hops from some early health food place. If he really wanted something special he'd add some dark Karo syrup or brown sugar. He made this all through the '60s with me helping brewing and bottling. Had a distinctive flavor I've never experienced since.
First commercial beer was Heidelberg. All this occurred in Seattle.... God rest it's soul.

Heileman's Special Export at a kegger in High School. We thought it was the "cool" beer haha. It used to be brewed in La Crosse Wisconsin, about an hour from where I lived.

Last edited:
A few weeks before my 19th birthday, 1990, I was in Athens Greece with some friends. We stopped at a little hole-in-the-wall restaurant that served gyros, souvlaki, and Amstel in giant mugs (I'd guess half liter). When my friends went back for their 3rd mug, I told them I was happy where I was and not sure if I could still walk after another! An hour later, they were throwing up on the beach and I was still happy....

It woulda been either Hamm's or Schlitz, back in the mid-60's, taking sips from my dad's can. Probably Schlitz because I'm not sure if you could get Hamm's in Texas back then (but I remember the commercials with the bear)

Foster's, a terrible beer, when I was about 15-16. I only experienced mass-market lagers like that at first (Stella, Carling, Carlsberg, etc.), so my opinion of beer wasn't very high.

But then I went to Leuven in Belgium for a trip during uni and was able to try Stella in its hometown (much much better than the stuff we get in the UK) and a beer called Barbar, which really changed my mind about beer.

Hmmm, first beer? Probably Miller High Life or Miller Genuine Draft around 1984 or so.

First Legal beer was in September of 1986, I don't remember the brand. What I do remember is that on October 1 of that same year Mississippi's drinking age for beer changed to 21. So I was legal for 22 days, then I had to wait almost 3 more years to become legal again.

Hmmm, first beer? Probably Miller High Life or Miller Genuine Draft around 1984 or so.

First Legal beer was in September of 1986, I don't remember the brand. What I do remember is that on October 1 of that same year Mississippi's drinking age for beer changed to 21. So I was legal for 22 days, then I had to wait almost 3 more years to become legal again.
Ha, I had better luck. My state's drinking age changed from 21 to 18 a few months before my 18th birthday, then switched back to 21 a few years after I turned 21 :D

I think it was Michelob. I never drank in high school, and this was at a 4th of July party in between high school and college (an "adult" party, not like my friends and stuff). I remember drinking it just fine, but thinking "this is beer? What's the big deal?".
Michelob for me also. We were sledding on a big hill about a mile from my home, and it evolved into a big teen party. I was about 13 at the time and was just happy to be hanging out with the "big kids".

Last edited:
FAD73A63-12E4-4601-87CE-5F1844D09B08.jpeg

Coors Banquet apparently :mug: . My dad drank Coors exclusively. He had one beer every night while watching TV after dinner. We regularly asked for a sip. The first time I truly remember having a few too many was when some of dad’s hunting buddies came for the weekend during pheasant season and I was allowed to have one with the “big boys”. It was Pig’s Eye light and little did they know, I had more than just a couple… I was probably about 13.
Coors pop top can. I was a sophomore in high school. c. 1973. I pretended to like it.
View attachment 772395
I vaguely remember those pull tabs on dad’s cans. I don’t know if it was standard practice, but he always pulled that tab off and dropped it back in the can when he opened it.
When I was a little older…
7E71DFFB-2AA8-4529-92DD-329ED66B5D9E.jpeg

When I was 7 and my brother 10 my parents left us home alone for the first time while they went food shopping. First thing we did was crack open a Budweiser and each take a medicine cup shot of it. We disliked it profusely and put it back.
My first real beer experience was in the beginning of summer after 8th grade. My friend and I had some girls coming over so we each stole a case of Budweiser from the deli down the block and the four of us got obliviated behind my friends pool.

My first beer I brewed was the Brewers Best Double ipa extract kit brewed Dec 26th 2015 after my wife, then fiancé, got me the brewer’s best start up equipment kit. I brewed my second beer, the brewers best imperial stout, by New Years lol. Little did she know how hyper competitive I was with myself to be the best at things and that it would turn into such passion. She loves my beers and is also brutally honest when needed. We still joke that it was the best and worst Gift she could have ever gotten me lol

My first beer I brewed was the Brewers Best Double ipa extract kit brewed Dec 26th 2015 after my wife, then fiancé, got me the brewer’s best start up equipment kit. I brewed my second beer, the brewers best imperial stout, by New Years lol. Little did she know how hyper competitive I was with myself to be the best at things and that it would turn into such passion. She loves my beers and is also brutally honest when needed. We still joke that it was the best and worst Gift she could have ever gotten me lol
Hahaha totally read this thread title wrong.

My first beer ever was at 9 after my cousin and I found a 6 pack of the 1994 Woodstock labeled Budweiser (I grew up in saugerties, where 94 happened) under my parents bed. We took one each and drank them at room temperature lol. Dad didn’t find out until much later when he wanted to show off his “collectors item” 6 pack for the festival…. I was in deep **** that day lol

My dad drank “Red White & Blue” in the early 80s, when I was still small enuf to stand upright on the bench seat of the pickup truck (4 or 5).

Things were FAR more lax back then in rural Iowa, so some days Dad would have a can or two AFTER spending the day on a tractor.

Sometimes I’d spend the whole day in the field with him, and I drank a bit here and there every one he opened….

All the roads were gravel back to the house, so we were fine.

Good times!

I remember being about five, and my mom had some friends over (probably the neighbors) and let me have a taste of her Miller Lite. My first legal one was probably a Bud Ice.

Back