What used to take 35 min. now takes 35 seconds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retardedsloth

Reaction score
I finally broke down and bought a conical fermenter. I read the reviews send some e-mails and decided to spend the extra money and get a Blichmann in favor of a Brewhemoth. I just couldn't get to terms with just a 4 inch opening for cleaning.
I just "transferred" my first batch from the primary to the secondary fermenter. LOVE IT! Just open a valve and done!
I should have posted this before though since I was not sure how to dry hop it, so I just removed the air valve and put the hops in there. Should I have used some sort of hop ball to contain the hops?
The other thing I love about this thing is that I finally used the hydrometer for the first time. I brewed about 15 batches without it but it's kind of fun to "see" where the beer is at.
So, if you have the money, buy one! I am already contemplating getting another one. Where does it end.......

This is probably a dumb question, but how to keep a conical cool? Do you have to put that monster in fridge/ferm chamber?

err... you have a blichmann conical, brewed 15 batches, and you just used a hydrometer for the first time? Odd.

I sure wish I could use a conical but I'd have to first build a fermentation chamber. I use a chest freezer, which is not really compatible with conical fermenters.

For dry hopping, just dump in the top. You can use a ball or bag, some do I know, but I don't without a problem.

Anyway, sounds great.

This is probably a dumb question, but how to keep a conical cool? Do you have to put that monster in fridge/ferm chamber?

I've always wondered this myself. I'd think a walk-in cooler with one of those thermal wraps. Otherwise that'd be a huge fermentation chamber.

What used to take you 35 minutes?

Racking to secondary, I'd assume.

I've always wondered this myself. I'd think a walk-in cooler with one of those thermal wraps. Otherwise that'd be a huge fermentation chamber.

Racking to secondary, I'd assume.

What exactly changed, though? Still has to clean & sanitize the tubing and secondary fermenter, still has to rack to the secondary fermenter. The only thing that really changes is that he doesn't have to start a siphon.

I bought a frost-free upright freezer and added a digital temp control for my conical fermentation. Works like a charm. Just check your local Craigslist for used freezers!
BTW, I had to get one with minimum of 18 CU Ft capacity.

What exactly changed, though? Still has to clean & sanitize the tubing and secondary fermenter, still has to rack to the secondary fermenter. The only thing that really changes is that he doesn't have to start a siphon.

I got the impression that by putting "transferring" in quotes, he put it in "secondary" by simply dumping out the cake at the bottom.

I got the impression that by putting "transferring" in quotes, he put it in "secondary" by simply dumping out the cake at the bottom.

Oh well I guess that makes sense. There's only a couple of beers that I make that I actually rack off the yeast cake before it's time to package, so I guess I don't really think about that.

For me the attraction of a conical is in the ability to quickly and easily collect the yeast cake for repitching. But, that is countered by the inconvenience of trying to temperature control the damn thing. I wish I had the equipment and space for conicals, but I am quite happy fermenting in buckets and corny kegs.

I thought this was about my sex life.

I am on the fence about conicals. None of the self contained (Heated and cooled) units seem to be very efficient.

they actually sell sleeves/blankets you can wrap around them to regulate the temperature, not sure how well they work. I have mine in the basement where is stays cool even in the summer.

35 minutes to sanitize everything, siphon into the secondary, then clean up the primary and the siphoning tubes etc. Now I just open the valve on the bottom, dump the cake out the bottom into a bucket and DONE!

I'm confused!

If I had a conical, I'd probably love it, but I don't, so I'm confused about the advantages.

They seem very expensive, so not really worth it to me where I believe every addition needs to buy it's way into my inventory (spread the cost over X brews/X years; whatever it takes to justify it - but a conical doesn't make it).

1) Why secondary?

2) Just dumping exposes the beer to oxygen. Part of the point of secondary is getting the beer off the cake.

Re-reading the thread, I think the OP is saying that with the conical, he can take the yeast out of the bottom and leave the beer behind, essentially replacing moving it to a secondary (not readily apparent).

Yep; I can understand this as a benefit for harvesting yeast and forgoing a secondary. For the 35 minutes it saves (I'll even go an hour) is that worth the cost of a conical (and other issues like cooling)? I also like to sample any beer I move (its part of the fun), and taking it from the bottom would make it murky.

Back