What type of hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotgunsteve

Reaction score
There is a vine growing on my fence (attached) that I've recently begun to suspect may be hops - based on it's flower shape (also attached). I believe this forum may be one of the best informed places to ask if this is a hop plant, and if so what type?

Thanks! :mug:

IMAG0034.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

You are correct sir, that is a hop plant. Unfortunately, one can never be absolutely positive of what an unidentified hop plant is. You'll just have to see if it offers anything interesting in terms of bitterness or aroma and decide if you want to use it.

Otherwise you're SOL.

Thank you kindly, very interesting. About how much of such an unknown variant would you say to add to dry hop my current brown/winter ale that is just in primary?

I suppose it would be of value to add that I live in Edmonton, Alberta Canada (the northern prairies). and it grew like a weed, that entire growth in the picture is this year

Hops always start from ground each year, frost kills what's growing above ground.

It can be a wild strain (yes, we have that in Canada) or it can be a known cultivar (but you will probably never know which one).

Just crush a cone with your fingers, rub it... and smell your fingers and the cone. Do a hop tea (2-3 cones in 1 cup of coffee + pour hot water). Taste it. You will see if the aroma is ok and if it is bitter or not.

Did you just move recently to that house ?

Brew a SMASH beer with it, figure out the flavor descriptors vs. one of the hop libraries online, you'll get pretty close to what hop it is.

Hmmm thanks guys great ideas. I'm definitely going to try making a 'tea' out of it. That's what you mean right, just the hops - wouldn't combining with coffee or tea mask the scent I'm trying to determime?

Hmmm thanks guys great ideas. I'm definitely going to try making a 'tea' out of it. That's what you mean right, just the hops - wouldn't combining with coffee or tea mask the scent I'm trying to determime?

That's it... only hot water and 2 or 3 hop cones. Faster than a SMASH (Single Malt And Single Hop). Just that step will give you an idea if it's worth trying to see the result in a brew.

I tried 4 buds steeped in a cup of hot water for 8 minutes. No smell really, but pretty bitter - tastes equivalent to a 40IBU beer.

I prob won't use these but think I could. This is also a month past harvest. Are there many varieties that don't work for beer?

Back