1st time grower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zrmcwilliams

Reaction score
This is my first time growing hops, and it’s going beautifully! I’m growing cascade, centennial, and chinook. I know that I shouldn’t expect much from the first year but just for my edu arional pueposes going forward, any advice on harvest? For the first years harvest I’m not going to brew with them, I may try some different hop waters and hop tinctures so I can grow my “hip identifying pallet”.

Thanks I’m advance!

E452FE5C-A307-4BD5-9A21-5EE44DE54831.jpeg
3F5A8B90-3630-4738-A3C1-8CA714A3D5D6.jpeg
9C04B681-B65C-42F2-9BA0-FFF4AED96693.jpeg
I think my cascades are just about there and they feel papery but not as firm as I’ve read in other forums. The lupin glands are bright yellow and have a freakin amazing grapefruity scent. Here’s a couple pics if anyone has some good advice.

Greetings, @zrmcwilliams, and welcome to the forum :mug:

I also grew Chinook, Centennial and Cascade (and some Fuggles) and always let them go until they were just beginning to get some browning. That usually put the beginning of harvest right about now - mid-August - and running into mid-September. iirc Centennial was the first to be ready, following by Cascade and Fuggles, and then Chinook.

Here's a pic showing what I would wait for. You can see the browning has just begun...

1692379740032.jpeg

Cheers!

Back