What Type of Grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fritobandito

Reaction score
So I'm planning on doing around 5 small batches of cider to experiment. I've been reading about caramel apple cider and decided to give it a shot. From what I've read so far, some people say steep some grains and add it to the cider. I'm trying to get a good caramel flavor to it but I can't figure out what grains to use.

I'm looking at the caramel (Briess) on midwest, but I can't figure out what the numbers behind that are. It goes 10L, 40L, 60L etc. I was also planning on trying to add some LME or DME to a few of the batches. I'm not seeing any DME or LME that mentions caramel flavor, but maybe I'm just not looking in the right place. If anyone has any recommendations for what kind of malt to add that would be great.

I wouldn't use extract to get a caramel flavor, there is a reason when you want it you steep grains. The degrees lovibond generally define a color of the grain, acheived through the malting process. This is where the grain is soaked and allowed to germinate, and then heated in a kiln drying type of way.

The higher the lovibond, the more kilned the grain. Being a deeper, darker grain. Also to a certain point, the higher the degree lovibond the more caramel flavor you get, until youhit more of a roasted flavor.

If you have a good homebrew shop around, take a roadtrip. Ask if you can have just a pinch, 3 or so grains from say 20L, 40L, 60L, 80L, 120L and so on, and chomp on em. It will give you a feel for what each type will impart in your beer.

I would imagine using a 40 or 60 L in what you're looking for maybe, but again I do not know your taste, so I could be way off.

Thanks for the response. Another thing I was wondering would it be fine to just steep the grains in the cider, provided I don't get it too hot?

With those grains, steeping is all you will need. You aren't pulling fermentables, you are pulling color and flavor.

The last thing I was wondering was the amount of grain I should steep. I'm going to order enough for a batch of steeping in water and also one in just the cider.

Back