What to use for cleaning stainless beer lines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1lawng

Reaction score
Hey there,

I'm just about done installing two beer taps in my kitchen and this forum's been a ton of help. I ran stainless beer line from the basement to the kitchen and I'm wondering what the best way to clean stainless lines is. I think I'll be making one of these to push a solution through the lines, but I'm really wondering what the best product is for stainless.

Thanks,
a1lawng

Push PBW through the lines. You don't need to make anything special to do this. Just use the keg that just kicked. I've been cleaning my beer lines that way since the start. No issues at all. I simply mix up some hot PBW (after rinsing the keg as best I can), run a few quarts through the line (and tap). Run a couple quarts of cool water through, then a couple quarts of StarSan solution through. Couldn't be easier if you tried.

Adding more gear to the mix will just complicate things. You can use the CO2 line for a keg (since one just kicked, you have one not in use). I have additional CO2 sources on hand (I do a CO2 push to move finished beer into kegs, and other things).

Thanks, Golddiggie, I'll try PBW. I was thinking of making the hand pump just to avoid wasting gas, but I think I'll probably keep it simple for now. I'll grab some PBW at my LHBS. Can't wait to see my brew pouring out of my new taps!

Thanks.

What do you have for CO2 tanks/bottles now?? I typically advise having a second tank for when your other runs out. That means you have CO2 for the kegs at all times. Since you'll probably run out when you cannot get a refill/exchange (at least at some point it will happen).

If you're coming close to Nashua, let me know. I'll show you my configuration and we can have a couple of pints.

I just have one smallish CO2 tank that came as part of a kit my LHBS put together for me. You're right, though, it would be great to have another one. I'll let the dust settle before buying more equipment, though...been emptying my wallet on this stuff lately!

Thanks for the invite to Nashua. I'm south of Boston, so if I'm headed up that way any time soon I'll let you know. Always like to try homebrew.

I have a 2.5# tank I could let go. I use a 20# on the brew fridge, have a 10# for it's backup. I also have a 5# that I use to partially carbonate (in the basement). All those are aluminum tanks, no steel ones. I also have some 12-24oz paintball gun bottles, with regulators to pull from them. I usually use the paintball gun bottles to move the finished beer to keg, as well as clean the beer lines.

Come on up to a free state and I can show you the other toys that you can't have. :mug:

Generous of you. I might be headed up your way later in the summer, so I'll let you know. Great sense of community in this forum.

Back