What to Look for in a Grain Mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're going to take advice from a Packers fan? What freaking ever.

We are better den dose bears, doncha know? :D

Yes, the barley crusher gets only an "ok" from me, although they did fix it twice and send it back. The issues started long before I put much grain through it, and with the last fix it seems better. there is a new kind of knurl on the rollers. It still isn't very dependable and still won't always pull grain through, but I can mess around with it and it works ok.

Came across a good deal on some bulk grain and now I am looking to get a grain mill. I have been searching for the forum and found a lot of posts about "which mill is better ? Mill A or Mill B?", but I cannot find anything that really answers the following questions:

1) Is it worth investing in 2" rollers and if so, why?

2) Does a 3-roller mill provide much improvement over a 2-roller mill?

3) Is getting a stainless steel mill worth the extra money?

4) Does helical or knurled matter?

Trying to figure out what really matters when it comes to buying a mill and what is more of a gimmick.

Any insight would be appreciated.

I have a 3 roller Monster Mill that I motorized & I've been very happy with it over the last 2 1/2 years.
I did just notice that MM has introduced a mill w/ helical slotted rollers. These should be very durable. I'm investigating an upgrade.

If you have a motorized MM3-2.0 with hardened rollers you are set for life. No need to ever upgrade.

Certainly has been a great mill. Very reliable crush. I almost always mill my grain while my strike water is heating which doesn't take long since I start at 120°F & the milling goes quickly & reasonably quiet, too.

Back