What to do with Old Refrigerator In Garage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edgeofblade

Reaction score
I'm contemplating ways to get further into home brewing. My first batch with a Cooper's kit is currently conditioning in the bottles and I want to wait on results from that before starting on the second batch. But I can always think about it.

My in-laws down the street are dropping off their old refrigerator next week. What could I do with it?

Let me put it this way: If I gave this fridge to the Mythbusters, they would probably test some myth about a refrigerator stopping a grenade.

If I gave it to the "Brew"busters, what would they do with it?

Basicly you can ferment control or serve from it...cold crash....kegs...the sky is the limit...start looking for another, best to have two...hah...one for fermenting and one for serving, four tap kegerator works for me:mug:

High Powered Keggerator With A Double Size Randall, Triple Regulators, Nitro, Low Foaming Faucets, All Worked From A Remote Control.

It probably doesn't work and they are simply unloading it on you to get rid of it. This is why they are bringing it to you rather than having you come and get it.

If you end up wanting to move away from Coopers kits and get more involved I'd recommend making it into a fermentation chamber. Easy to do, just add a 2 stage temperature controller and a heat source and you can brew all year round, lagering in the summer and keeping ales at the right fermentation temperature during the winter.

If you already have a decent way yo maintain fermentation temperatures then consider using it as conditioning area, from kegs to bottles you can extend the life of your beer, clear it and maintain it's drinkability for a long long time at cool temperatures.

Back