What to buy next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdauria

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Fairly new all grain brewer and have some cash after birthday, I'm trying to decide what to buy next...the Barley Crusher Grain mill or a Rubbermaid Cooler Mash Tun and Sparge Tun (like Northern Brewer sells)? I get my grain online because the closest home brew shop has limited inventory, so I get it already milled.

I turned one of my 48 qt coolers into a mash/lauter tun and used my bottling bucket as my hot water tank for the first few all grains I did, but it was a pain using in the tight space in my kitchen. Had to put a chair on the counter for the hot water bucket to sparge into the mash tun on the counter and then down to the brew kettle on a chair.

So what should it be, grain mill or mash/sparge coolers?

I agree about the grain mill. You can make a mash tun for next to nothing. If you sew yourself a voile bag, you don't even have to worry about manifolds or "setting" the grain bed.

Buy a crusher and build a mash tun. They are not hard to make. I built my own MLT and crusher, but not everyone has access to a machine shop.

You can save money by buying bulk.

Wait, do you fly sparge? Cause I just heat up some water and pour it in and mix it to sparge with. No gravity needed for batch sparging.

Get the mill, and then a good 10 gallon stockpot and your old kettle can become the hot liquid tank. I only use one cooler for my mashing, and a 7 gal aluminum kettle for hot water.

Go for a mill if you intend on buying grain in bulk unmilled. You already have a mash tun, and batch sparging is so much easier ( less time ) than fly sparging with little loss in gravity points provided you use a little more cheap grain.
I do like Malkore did with the old kettle....

Also depends on if you get charged to buy your grain crushed or not. I buy mine crushed at no extra charge so there has been no point in me spending money on a mill. Buy something that will increase your productivity and help you produce better quiality beer.

Just throwing in my 2cents. It's your money, you don't actually *have* to spend it. If you don't have a burning need for something now, I'd just save it.. ;)

Barley Crusher grain mill for sure. Get yourself some feeler gauges to set up the right gap as well, as it it adjustable. I took my efficiency to 80% from 67% from the grind alone. I have mine set at .034.

i found the mash tun the most tedious piece of equipment that I had to deal with. this being said, i still was able to crush my grains without a grain mill by carefully cracking the grain by rolling a baseball bat over the grain. get the tun out of the way...my opinion

Back