What to add to beer kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ax89

Reaction score
Well i deceided to go with a beer kit for my first brew, for those who read my previous posts.

So i got a burtons summer ale tin, the guy also convinced me to buy a bag of elderflowers. So the instructions say to also add 800gms of either light dried malt, beer enhancer or sugar. I assumed you would get these with the kit.

Now i am getting confused again, i thought the contents of the tin were hopped malt extract so why do i have to add an additional 800gms of dried ME.

I thought you got both the sugars and flavour from the contents of the tin, i.e the pre hopped malt extract...hmmm back to square one.

Therefore if i have to add additional contents can i add something like a pilsner malt, and as for the dried light malt, is this just added strainght into the fermenting bin without being bagged. It is like working in the dark right now.

From everything I've read on this site, the instructions that come with most homebrew kits are um.. often times crap. :)
Is it one of those kits where the yeast comes packaged with the can, just under the lid?
If so, I suspect that the recommended addition of DME or sugar is used when you go to bottle (for carbonation).
You could try searching on that particular kit and see what results you get.
Also, if it's a no-boil kit with pre-hopped liquid malt extract, and you decide to use the elderflowers, you might want to make a "tea" (infusion) with the elderflowers before you dissolve the stuff from the can (since you're not going to be boiling the stuff for an hour).

Back