what the kveik?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McHop

Reaction score
Per usual my LHBS did not have the 1 thing I needed. This time it was the Omega Voss that was there 2 weeks prior. I rolled the dice and ordered dried Framgarden kveik and a kveik blend on etsy. I brewed a simple blonde ale to bring on vacation:

20lbs 2-row
2oz cascade @ 60 min
1oz cascade @ 15 min
2oz cascade @ flame out

OG 1.047

Nearly 36 hours later it finally started fermenting. Its been almost a week and a half and its still slowly fermenting away at 85 degrees. The few samples I took taste funky, my wife says it is an olive like taste. Its seems to be more a yeast derived flavor than an infection, I can taste the malt and hops in the finish. The few samples I took were pretty hazy and putting them into the fridge has no effect. Has anyone else run into this issue with using dried kveik?

The Etsy kveiks are all Mixed cultures with yeasts, bacterias and whatnot.

I had one from Norway that took the months to clear, although initially it dropped extremly well, only a light haze seemed to stay forever.

Taste can come from anything... Might be the culture, might be low nutrients, mine tasted differently than your description but every culture tastes differently.

The Etsy kveiks are all Mixed cultures with yeasts, bacterias and whatnot.

I had one from Norway that took the months to clear, although initially it dropped extremly well, only a light haze seemed to stay forever.

Taste can come from anything... Might be the culture, might be low nutrients, mine tasted differently than your description but every culture tastes differently.

Wow - your timing here is perfect. I ordered three of the Etsy Kveik packs last night not knowing this. I’ll use them still, though much more carefully now (e.g. use my sour equipment only).

Any source but legitimate labs are going to entail more risk. Even then, I've got my fingers crossed that the White Labs Opshaug produces something drinkable. From the Lars blog site, some Kveiks can exhibit sulfur and rubber aromas. New territory, there will be bumps in the road.

No Name Kveik? Aroma
#1 Sigmund Yes Spicy orange
#2 Rivenes Yes Spicy orange
#3 Stranda Yes Earthy banana and melon
#4 Muri No Sulphur, rubber, fruit
#5 Hornindal Yes Milky caramel, tropical fruit
#8 Saure Yes Funky
#9 Ebbegarden Yes Mango and pineapple
#16 Simonaitis No Phenolic, fruity

Latest posts

Back