What the heck fun facts.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are 100 pleats in a chef's hat, each one representing a different way to cook an egg...

So is "a shake." Nuclear physicists use it, it is equal to 10 nanoseconds.

What I want to know is, how big is a smithereen? I have heard the expression "I'll blow you to smithereens" more than once and I still don't know how big one is. And does that mean there is such a measurement as a smither? If so, I am assuming that it is larger than a smithereen, but IDK for sure...

:p

A "smithereen" is a tiny flake of heated metal that flies from a smith's hammer when he is pounding on a hot piece of metal. It comes from old Gaelic. The word Smith itself supposedly comes from the sound a hot piece of metal makes when it is quenched.

A million seconds is approx 11 days. A billion seconds is almost 32 yrs!

You can't hum if you pinch your nose.

I use "Mr. Johnson" on all the major sites.

Er, dang... now I gotta go change all my passwords...

:eek:

There are 4 distinct shapes to McDonald's Chicken McNuggets, and they all have names: the bell; the ball; the boot; and the bow-tie.

Humming is making sound without opening your mouth. If you "let a little air escape out the corners of your mouth", then you are no longer humming.

:)

Well actually (said while pushing my glasses up by the rim with my index finger), hum is an onomatopoeia. It usually refers to a form of singing that is just making low sounds, most of the time while pursing ones lips. But that doesn't mean they necessarily have to be completely closed. In fact in singing the goal of humming is often to have the lips just ever so slightly touching which almost creates a tickling feeling. Cause who doesn't like to have their lips tickled while making a low, continuous, droning sound?

Well actually (said while pushing my glasses up by the rim with my index finger), hum is an onomatopoeia.

"Hum" is an onomatopoeia. It refers to making the "hmm" sound. Try making that sound with your mouth open - it's impossible.

Mouth open (even a little) = singing.

Mouth closed = humming.

;)

You CAN hum with your mouth open, you simply redirect the exhaled air thru your nose, exactly as you do when you hum with your mouth closed. There is no change in pitch or pressure if you close & reopen your mouth while humming.
It's a FACT.
Regards, GF.

Making the "m" sound without your lips touching is impossible. You can make the "n" sound, but not the "m".

That's a fact!

:)

Speak for yourself. ;) I can do it quite easily.

I-dont-believe-you.gif

If you can make the "m" sound in "hum" without touching your lips together, you are a superhuman, nay, a GOD!

:D

In Thailand it is illegal for a woman to leave her home without wearing underwear

In Thailand it is illegal for a woman to leave her home without wearing underwear

You would think they would be pro-underwearlessness on women in Thigh-land...

Actually, I guess it is because of the notoriety of upskirt photographers. Sorry about the bad pun though.

52013496.jpg

Hah, it looks like he is trying to get an upskirt gander.

Latest posts

Back