What the Funk?!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiBeerGuy

Reaction score
I got this weird infection that I can't figure out what it is. This is from a beer that has been sour mashed then fermented and aged on oak chips. I have used it for blending so their might be more contact with oxygen then I would like.

Any help is appreciated.

GeBspK3,RldztrT

GeBspK3,RldztrT

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that looks like mold to me. I had the same situation when I tried to harvest bugs off grains. One of the kernels stuck to the side of the flask and was exposed to air while the rest sank to the bottom. The mold grew attached to that kernel that stuck out of the surface of the wort and looked exactly like that (albeit a bit smaller chunk). Good news is you may be able to salvage it, if you're willing to risk it. I was able to save mine and put it into a 1 gallon batch of pale ale with some peaches. It's been in there for 2 weeks at room temp re-fermenting the sugars from the peaches. There is no mold growth in the carboy after two weeks so I think I'm good to go as the hops and lower pH of the fermented Pale Ale probably prevented the mold from growing again. It's up to you though.

Yes, I'm thinking it might be mold. It is the right color, but it doesn't look like the other pictures I've seen on the intertubes. I think I will pull the thing out and pitch some Brett, then see what happens.

The beer already served its purpose as a blend. Right now, I'm in straight up experimentation stage.

I confirmed from someone from a yeast lab that it is definitely mold. I'm moving forward with the Brett and I'll let you know how it turns out in about 6 months. Maybe we can compare notes.

Back