What Temperature Will Kill Yeast In A Packet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eidling

Reaction score
So most places advise sticking your yeast packet and scissors in the star san prior to cutting open. I usually make my star san solution with hot water. If I throw that yeast packet in there, will it kill the yeast before I ever even get it into my beer?

I ask because I brewed a wheat kit last night and thus far, no action in the carboy. Only been about 7 hours though.

I have read that the limit is about 140 F. If you could get the pack out of the Starsan without pain it is probably OK.

Why do you use hot water to make up your Starsan?

Hmmm, I've never considered sanitizing the yeast packet/scissors. Geez, now I'll likely start doing so and add one more thing to 'fuss' over... Thanx.

I have read that the limit is about 140 F. If you could get the pack out of the Starsan without pain it is probably OK.

Why do you use hot water to make up your Starsan?

Honestly, I guess I just assumed you were supposed to. Is it just as effective with cold or room temp water? That would be nice if that were the case. My head just thinks "hey, you're cleaning something, use hot water."

Honestly, I guess I just assumed you were supposed to. Is it just as effective with cold or room temp water? That would be nice if that were the case. My head just thinks "hey, you're cleaning something, use hot water."

Starsan is an acid solution. It works with the acidity not heat. I have a 5 gallon water bottle and make up about 2.5 gallons at a time. I put some in a spray bottle for use and keep the rest for months. I have some ph test strips and check the acidity periodically.

So mine is always room temperature.

Starsan is an acid solution. It works with the acidity not heat. I have a 5 gallon water bottle and make up about 2.5 gallons at a time. I put some in a spray bottle for use and keep the rest for months. I have some ph test strips and check the acidity periodically.

So mine is always room temperature.

Well I'll be damned. That's really good to know. And, while I've been sitting here waiting on you wonderful people to reply, the first bubble just went through the airlock. I feel like we did this as a team. Thanks!

I actually think I remember one of the Five Star guys saying its best not to get StarSan above 115F...

Some times dry yeast takes a bit to start up if you don't get it going in some dme and water and "proof" it as a starter

I found this other forum post talking about it, man I had no idea. I also never think to reuse it. I mix up five gallons in my carboy, let it sit, then boom, dump it out 30 minutes later. I love the spray bottle idea. You guys are brilliant!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/star-san-hot-cold-h2o-80173/

The spray bottle is awesome. So easy to just spray things down as needed. I've been doing that for a while, also just making up a gallon of starsan with distilled water and leaving it in that gallon jug. I pour some out when needed, sanitize, and funnel it back in. Also top off the spray bottle with it. It's a great way to save on starsan. Be sure to use distilled water though. Tap would probably end up cloudy looking rather quickly, and that's a sign it's not good anymore. Using distilled, it stays clear for... well... a long time, until I run out of it.

Latest posts

Back