What style would you call this beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejg700

Reaction score
I used 7 pounds of American 2 row, 2 pounds of caramunich, .25 pounds of chocolate malt, .50 pounds of golden naked oats, .33 pounds of honey malt, 24 oz of honey, 14 ounces of maple syrup, 1 oz vanilla extract, and .10 oz anise seed, S04, and 1oz Chinook.

It's been in the primary for about a week, and I intend to leave in in there for 3 weeks, and cold crash for ten days.

My intention was to come up with something that was somewhere between Newcastle brown ale, and Fat Tire amber ale, as Newcastle is my favorite, and Fat tire, is my lady's,( well ex-lady now:)

I'm not quite sure how it's going to turn out, as I had a few snags. I couldn't find my hygrometer, so I couldn't take gravity readings. The mash process wasn't all that successful, as after an hour the mash was still starchy, not sweet. Too much/little water? So I used Beano in the wort for an hour at 126, and crossed my fingers.

I have a good feeling about the beer though, I'd do a few things differently next time. Make sure the correct water amount, and temperature was used for starter. I'd skip the honey malt, and the caramunich. Instead, I'd go with 1.5 pounds of dark Munich, and .33 of an 80L crystal malt. I'd also make sure I can find all my tools before starting, and use exact grain measurements.

So what style would you call this beer? Brown ale? Porter?

You're using a hygrometer? Why would you need to know the relative humidity of your wort? I'd just call it "wet" and be done with it.

Papazian had a recipe for Goat Scrotum Porter, which had a long list of ingredients at the brewer's option. Just toss in some licorice root, molasses, ginger, and a jalapeno pepper, and you're all set.

Way too much **** beer. You say you mashed at 126 with beano? 126 is not conversion temperature. You didn't extract any sugar from the grain that way. All you are fermenting is the honey, maple syrup and vanilla extract.

Wow. Quite a bit going on, it won't fit any category and not sure you'll have much ferment with 126 as your temp.

I'm curious..going for a cross between a newcastlye and a fat tire, you went with a lot of honey, maple syrup, anise, vanilla, and chinook. None of which would typically be found in a clone of either.

How did you come up with the recipe?

Way too much **** beer. You say you mashed at 126 with beano? 126 is not conversion temperature. You didn't extract any sugar from the grain that way. All you are fermenting is the honey, maple syrup and vanilla extract.

Vanilla extract is already something like 95% alcohol, so it's not fermentable. So that's one less thing he has to ferment.

I mashed at 152 for 70 minutes, but I didn't get a complete conversion. I don't think I used enough water in the mash. Then I added Beano to the wort for an additional 60 minutes at 126, as alpha galactosidase deactivates at ~137. LHBS was closed so I couldn't get amylase. It's still quite sweet with a hot alcohol aftertaste, but it's only been a week. I plan on leaving it in primary for two more weeks, and cold crashing for 14 days, in hopes that it will mellow out. Surprisingly enough, I think it has potential.

I mashed at 152 for 70 minutes, but I didn't get a complete conversion. I don't think I used enough water in the mash. Then I added Beano to the wort for an additional 60 minutes at 126, as alpha galactosidase deactivates at ~137. LHBS was closed so I couldn't get amylase. It's still quite sweet with a hot alcohol aftertaste, but it's only been a week. I plan on leaving it in primary for two more weeks, and cold crashing for 14 days, in hopes that it will mellow out. Surprisingly enough, I think it has potential.

I applaud your enthusiasm and positive attitude! Let us know how it turns out.

Back