Local Wort Rally

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bcarlton74

Bill's Basement Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My LHBS and a brewery are doing a wort rally. The wort is going to be a brown ale. While I don't have the percentages of the malts, I do know which malts they're using. I want to make 5 gallons of the wort into a honey brown. Plan on bringing the wort to a boil to add 1 to 2 pounds of honey. Also plan on steeping some honey malt to change the complexity some. My question is, how much honey malt to steep to not over power the other malts. The grain bill will consist of:

Ireland Stout Malt

Double roasted crystal malt

Brown malt

Heritage crystal

Malted Oats

Thinking a pound of honey malt between 150 and 180 while i bring the wort to a boil. Any help is appreciated.

Bill

If me, I’d add the honey after fermentation straight to the primary vessel. If added on the hot side, honey is too delicate, you’re not going to taste it. Risk of contamination is pretty low, if you’re worried about that.

I can’t really speak to the honey malt. I’ve only used it a couple of times and kept it at less than 5% of my grain bill. Lots of people have poor reviews of honey malt when going past 5% and I’ve been too chicken to “press to test” that.

Assuming the wort is aiming for a classic brown ale, using 2020s British hops could be interesting. Or go with American hops, but aim for a "generation" - either classic "C" hops, early 2010s hops, or 2020s hops.

Adding steeping grains could move the style to a porter or stout.

Boiling longer might yield some interesting malt flavors in a "double" brown, "imperial" porter, or "imperial" stout. At "imperial" strength, adding lactose might (or might not) be interesting.

Not sure if sugar additions get one to a Brown / Black IPA. Table sugar is the easy choice. The various types of invert sugar may bring some complementary flavors. Brewers crystals may help avoid thinning out the wort.

If me, I’d add the honey after fermentation straight to the primary vessel. If added on the hot side, honey is too delicate, you’re not going to taste it. Risk of contamination is pretty low, if you’re worried about that.

I can’t really speak to the honey malt. I’ve only used it a couple of times and kept it at less than 5% of my grain bill. Lots of people have poor reviews of honey malt when going past 5% and I’ve been too chicken to “press to test” that.
You are wise in the ways of honey, oh @Kickass . I did a honey ale last year with 3 lbs, about 25% of the sugars... it came out 'way too cidery.

It was, however, delightful to cook with, especially port butt in the slow cooker!

Local brewery makes the wort. You pay $55 for 5 gallons and do what you want with it. Optional competition at the end. All proceeds donated to Illinois Food Bank.

Local brewery makes the wort. You pay $55 for 5 gallons and do what you want with it. Optional competition at the end. All proceeds donated to Illinois Food Bank.
Ok, similar to what we do over here.

I'm interested in starting a wort rally in my neck of the woods. Can you tell me the rules of the rally such as what you can do to the wort once received. Sounds like fun.

No rules! You can change it however you want. Add whatever yeast you want. Only limited by the base wort. For example, last year the wort was a pilsner base and I did a black ipa. Steeped some specialty malts, did some dry hopping and fermented with Omega Sundew.

It's $55 for 5 gallons. BSG donates the grains and hops. The brewery fonates there time to brew it. There incentive is that it's for charity I guess.

Back