What size stock pot would i need for 5-6 gallon all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baddagger

Reaction score
hey all i been brewing for a little over two years and looking at buying a new stock pot. i was looking at a 32quart stock pot but was wondering is that big enoff if i want to do a 5-6gallon all grain ?

also what are good brands of pots to look at i was looking at amzon but see alot of pots that leak

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000X1QKRI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MYM52C/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

those two looked the best and that were in a price range i am willing to spend any input would be great

Last edited by a moderator:
An 8-gallon kettle is pretty small for an all-grain 5-6 gallon batch. Even if your boil off rate is only a gallon per hour, you're still looking at 6-7 gallons of wort in the kettle at a minimum, which doesn't leave much room for boilover. I need to have 8.5 gallons of wort pre-boil in order to keg five gallons.

If you already had the 32 quart kettle, I'd say go for it with plans to get a bigger kettle later. However, you're going to be buying a new kettle anyhow, don't settle for such a small one, since you'll be doing AG batches. I have a 15 gallon kettle, and if I'm careless I'll still get the occasional boilover. I couldn't imagine the incredible PITA that brewing a five gallon AG batch in an eight gallon kettle would be. I'm not saying it's impossible, because it's definitely doable... It's just not something I would want to do.

Here's the kettle I have: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PZ7K7A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It's 15 gallons, and about $60 shipped. However, it's aluminum, not SS. Personally, I'd much rather have a large aluminum for half the price of a small stainless steel kettle.

hey all i been brewing for a little over two years and looking at buying a new stock pot. i was looking at a 32quart stock pot but was wondering is that big enoff if i want to do a 5-6gallon all grain ?

also what are good brands of pots to look at i was looking at amzon but see alot of pots that leak

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000X1QKRI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MYM52C/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

those two looked the best and that were in a price range i am willing to spend any input would be great

30 litres or so.

--Adam Selene

Agreed. 10 gal kettle is the smallest I would go with, 15 would be even better.

I have an 8 gallon that I use now as it came with my propane burner. If you're buying new, get bigger. It's a pain in an 8 gallon and I'm looking at 20 gallons as I want to do 10 gallon batches

Indoor? Outdoor? 8 gallons will work. It will be tight though and require you babysit the pot for any boil overs. You can also get a cheap 9 gallon stainless 2 weld pot homebrewing.org with a stainless ball valve and thermometer for not much more. That's if you're trying to stay in that price range. 9-10 gallon pots will give you a bit more comfort for doing 5 gallons.

I use a 32 quart kettle for 5-6 gallon all grain batches. Although I cook on the stove so my boil off is slightly less than if you use a turkey cooker. It works fine for me and I've never had boil over issues. Here's what I use.

http://morebeer.com/products/8-gallon-stainless-brew-kettle-heavy-duty.html

I've the same kettle and use it on the ceramic top stove. When filled with 7 gallon of wort I can barely keep a rolling boil, so I leave the lid partly on, part of the time. No DMS problems.

When filled to that level there's only an inch or less of headspace (at 212°F) so it is dangerously full. You really got to watch it.

What I've been doing:
  1. I save 1 gallon of first runnings in a separate pot. I boil that separately, and add it to the main kettle after it boiled off enough.
  2. Or I save 1-2 gallons of third runnings and boil those down a lot to make up missing points and some volume, if needed.

So if you have to buy new, go for a 10 gallon kettle. Otherwise be inventive with what you have.

I use an 8 gallon aluminum cheapo tamale steamer pot to do 5-5.5 gallon AG batches. While it does work it is a PITA and I have to watch for boilovers especially in the beginning. So far all of my beers try like hell to boilover just after I get it to a boil (hot break?) and then are fine after that. Although I have no intention of replacing my pot any time soon If I did I would probably go 15 gallon. No worry of boilover and if I wanted to boil 12 gallons for a 10 gallon batch I could.

I use a 33-qt Graniteware with no issues. I plan for 5.5 gallons going into the fermenter, so I start with around 7 gallons. In the summer I have to watch out for the hot break, but a good stir keeps it under the rim. Winter I don't have any problems with it.
I also do brew outside on a turkey fryer, so there is that.
I have a 30 qt pot I've used a couple times and that one will boil over.
I would probably get a 10-gallon if I was to replace it, just to have that extra space.

should do the job - most people use a 2x multiplier when determining boil vessel size (ie. 5gal finished = 10gal pot, 10gal finished = 20gal pot) but it can be done with less - I have an 8 gallon for mash/boil which does the trick, my next pot will be a 10 or bigger but that's just because I'm in the process of upgrading - 10 is the minimum, larger if the price isn't that much greater; the more space in your pot the less you have to worry about boil over, but if you are paying attention it's not an issue, like I said I'm using a 32qt/8gal without issue.

Like others said go bigger if buying. I've got a 15 gallon for 5 gallon batches. It is also nice to know I could do a 10 gallon batch for an event or something if I wanted to babysit it to stop a boilover.

Back