What should I make Vinegar in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I've been doing a couple of vinegar projects over the past year and I'm getting good results. So I'm getting ready to do a large batch of honey vingear... about 5 gallons' worth. And I was thinking about what I should use for the container.

I'm really tempted to use one of my better bottles, but I'm afraid it will be forever contaminated with acetobacter if I do this.

Any suggestions? Will I be able to reclaim this fermenter if I do this? Or will it be forever contaminated?

I make sours in my better bottles and I haven't had any problems crossing back and forth. Having said that, my vinegar projects are very... fragrant, so I would still be hesitant. I would probably use a bucket since they are cheap and some oxygen ingress is necessary.

I was planning to use the Better Bottle with a foam stopper attached.

But now that I think about it.. I do have one glass carboy. I only use it for beers that are going to age a long time, where I want the ability to clean it well, and where moving it around is a rare occurrence. I guess that would be the best bet.

Is there any problem brewing beer and vinegar in the same room? That would be the most convenient for me... but I'd hate to get cross contamination. I'm thinking that as long as buggies can't play around in the fermenters, it shouldn't be a big deal...

You do not need to worry about contamination, as Acetobacter require oxygen to grow, so they they will not grow in propler airlocked beer if you reuse the better bottle. A regular sanitation regime will deal with any issues.

Now I could see a serious issue with flavour crossing over to a batch of beer. Vinegar sour is not a good sour for a beer to have...

So I've been doing a couple of vinegar projects over the past year and I'm getting good results. So I'm getting ready to do a large batch of honey vingear... about 5 gallons' worth. And I was thinking about what I should use for the container.

Any suggestions? Will I be able to reclaim this fermenter if I do this? Or will it be forever contaminated?

I wouldn't do it in plastic it you plan on using it again for anything else.
I've kept my mother in a 6.5 gallon carboy for over 6 years.

On to a more vinegar related question...

I am just finishing up a quart of honey vinegar. I started it with a Tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar, added a bit of of mead, let it convert, then added some more, let it convert, etc. So, I have a total of 3 slimy mothers in the bottom of my quart container, plus the one one top which should be falling sometime soon.

Once it falls, I pour off the vinegar and add all the mother into a 6.5 gallon glass carboy. Will that be enough mother for a 5 gallon batch? Or do you think I should stage it again?

Back