What should I do??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougdecinces

Reaction score
I am going to start no-chill brewing starting with my next batch. Right now I have a Bakers and Chefs (Sam's Club) 6 gallon aluminum stock pot that has worked great. I planned on purchasing the weldless fitting for it on Bargain Fittings, but then I saw this advertised at a local hardware store:

30 Quart Turkey Fryer at Menards

Bear in mind that I am strictly a stovetop brewer and thus have no need for the burner portion, but if I bought this, all I'd need to do is buy a $4.00 threaded nipple and I'd be good to go. Whereas the weldless fitting alone would cost me $31 with shipping. And if was able to resell the burner on Craigslist, the cost would come out roughly even. I also end up getting a second pot for my troubles. Even if I don't have a spigot for the second pot, I can still use it for parti-gyle batches and huge beers and chill it in the bath tub like I used to.

But the downside is the pot I'm purchasing is slightly inferior to the one I already have and I imagine cleanup will be more of a chore.

After weighing the pros and cons for the better of a day, I'm hoping I can get some advice from my fellow homebrewers. Which route would you go?

Also, it should be known that for financial reasons, I can't spend much more than this. So, while it would be nice to have a 40 qt stainless steel pot with a built-in ball valve for $120, that is 110% not happening.

That's a great question. So you're upgrading the pot from 6 gallons to 7.5 gallons with the valve? I guess if it's a net-0 spend by selling the burner it'd make sense, but I think general consensus would be to not spend money on small upgrades - save up for what you need. You'll have to be careful doing full boils in a 7.5g pot. Ideally you want closer to 9 or 10, especially on the stove where boilovers = messy. Not saying you shouldn't do it, just trying to think out loud.

I've never done no-chill brewing, so I can't comment on that.

Back