What should I do with a buttload of satsumas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfPint

Reaction score
If you were wondering, satsumas are basically small oranges.

Anyways, a friend has given me tons of these things and says that he's got more on the way! While they are delicious, we can not eat all of them. What can/should I do with them?

honey, oranges, and wine yeast = orange mead

Beat you to it! I literally just bottled 2 gallons of dry satsuma mead, and I'm probably going to start another batch pretty soon here.

wine!!!!!!!! Believe it or not (if you've ever had, um, fermented OJ because it got left out, you won't believe it), oranges make a fantastic wine!

Try this:
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques33.asp

It's funny that you commented b/c I was actually expecting you too lol! Yeah, I really didn't even think about straight up orange wine b/c I didn't think that such a thing could ever be delicious, but holy hell, bananas and raisins also! I'm def going to try a 1 gallon batch of this, but I'm not so sure about the pectic enzyme and stuff as I've never used that or tannins, but I imagine it's pretty straight forward.

Thanks for the help!

Oh how I love satsumas. I went to Louisianna a few years ago and was loving the food, crawdads, boodean (I know I spelled it wrong and I don't care), and Daquiri Hut, MMMMMMmmmmm!!!

Oh how I love satsumas. I went to Louisianna a few years ago and was loving the food, crawdads, boodean (I know I spelled it wrong and I don't care), and Daquiri Hut, MMMMMMmmmmm!!!

Yeah, as someone who's grown up about a little over an hour away from Louisiana my whole life, and my dads whole side of the family being from Louisiana, the food is something I hold dear to my heart. I actually had a friend of the family send over a bunch of frozen gumbo today and we all ate that for dinner. It was mother effin delicious!

Hey Yoop, I actually bought all of the ingredients to make the second orange wine on Jacks website. However, I don't have pectic enzyme, grape tannin, or wine yeast. I'm thinking about adding raisins and oranges into the blender and blending, then adding the banana water, sugar, and yeast nutrient, then pasteurizing it all @ 160 for 10 minutes. After that, I'll cool, top off, aerate and pitch with some Nottingham in a 6 gallon carboy b/c that's all I've got open. After completely changing a lot of his recipe, I will pretty much follow what he says to do from there on out. What do you think?

Back