What should final gravity read?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jprasad82

Reaction score
My local home brew supply guy says 1.010 which is what it is at right now? It sat in the primary for a week and secondary for a week is it ready to be bottled as per my supply guy or should I wait for a lower reading? This was my first reading...

Your good to go man - If I was gong to keg it and drink it the next day I would hold off (not for the gravity to go lower but for the beer to condition) but since your going to bottle condition anyway I would say go for it

The beer might improve a bit if you wait another week but if your like me then that is an eternity

Sometimes those guys give out too many "general" type answers.

What was your OG?

What's the attenuation of the yeast?

Divide the OG by the potential attenuation and you should be in the ballpark for your FG. Then let that stabilize for a few days to make sure it's done fermenting. ;)

You're probably ready at that low a gravity, but the real test is to make sure that it isn't still dropping. So, wait a day and take another reading. Then wait another day and take it again. If it is still at 1.010, fermentation is done.

^^^ What he said, if it's still at 1.010 in 3 days you're good to go. No need to check Monday and Tuesday a quick check on Wednesday will tell you if it's ready. But, if you do check on Monday and Tuesday you get to taste 2 extra samples!

thanks for the help guys i was planning on bottling it on Wednesday so i'll take a final test than...I really need to get a turkey baster much easier than santizing my siphon tube all the time for samples...

thanks for the help guys i was planning on bottling it on Wednesday so i'll take a final test than...I really need to get a turkey baster much easier than santizing my siphon tube all the time for samples...

Get a thief, they work even easier!
Dave

Back