What Scale Do You Use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZCoolerBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve always been a little jealous of you guys who have cool scales that can very accurately weigh hops and water additions. Now I’m part of the club. My work was throwing away a bunch of industrial equipment and let employees take stuff. I took this scale. I’m sure there are more accurate scales that would cost far less than this one, but it’s not bad at all for being free. It weighs down to 1/100th of a gram.

Show us your scale, especially if you have a story to go with it.

IMG_0001.JPG

I’m currently trying to find a decent grain scale locally. I have my eye on the Ultraship 35 and I was hoping I could find something Similiar close to me but haven’t had any luck. I have a small pocket scale from HF that’s ok with mineral additions but has an annoying hold feature that takes a bit more weight before displaying any more weight.

picked up a digital postal scale off flea bay for about 15 bucks...haven't used it yet but looking forward to it.

for my hops I have a digital gem stone scale.

Escali Arti Digital Food Scale

SWMBO bought for baking.
I've been using it for brewing.
We like it so much, we bought another for our vacation/retirement home.

fwiw, I use one of these for anything over an ounce or so

61jeyhUx-YL._SL1500_.jpg

and one of these for tiny weights (mostly minerals/salts for RO water prep, etc).

71mE8PkYvTL._SL1500_.jpg

I've had both for almost four years and they're both reliable and have maintained accuracy (bought a standard weight set and check them occasionally). Both are backlit and the tethered display/control on the large one makes weighing buckets and large boxes easy, and the large one can be run on an included wall wart.

The one ding between them is the buttons on the small unit are totally chromed so pretty much zero contrast between labels and buttons and thus a ***** for my old eyes to read...

Cheers!

I use a 1g-precision scale bought on the cheap on Amazon. Honestly, I wouldn't really care to be any more precise than that. On 3oz of hops for a recipe, I can expect to have an average deviation of about... what, 1%? Not a big deal, if you ask me.

If I was going to be really anal about precision and consistency, I'd rather scale the recipes up than nitpick over gram fractions. "Oh, no, this pellet is too big, oh, no, that one is too small, darn it, why can't I find a pellet that is exactly 1.0536 grams!?"

fwiw, I use one of these for anything over an ounce or so

61jeyhUx-YL._SL1500_.jpg

and one of these for tiny weights (mostly minerals/salts for RO water prep, etc).

71mE8PkYvTL._SL1500_.jpg

I've had both for almost four years and they're both reliable and have maintained accuracy (bought a standard weight set and check them occasionally). Both are backlit and the tethered display/control on the large one makes weighing buckets and large boxes easy, and the large one can be run on an included wall wart.

The one ding between them is the buttons on the small unit are totally chromed so pretty much zero contrast between labels and buttons and thus a ***** for my old eyes to read...

Cheers!

I have that same 500g Smart Weigh for hops and salt additions. Very accurate and doesn't drift. For grain I have an Escali Primo, which I've found to be quite accurate as well. It only ranges up to 11lbs, but whatever container I place on the pan won't hold that much grain anyway, so I have to weigh in portions for a typical grain bill.

I have two scales, one for tiny measures, one for large amounts.

For small-scale measuring, I use a Lyman 1500. I bought it originally as a backup to my Dillon d-terminator electronic scale, for use in measuring while reloading ammunition. The smaller and cheaper Lyman is every bit as good as the Dillon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AU6CCB4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

There are cheaper gram scales out there, but this one sure works well.

I also have an Ultra Ship 55 digital scale, for use in weighing out malt and other heavier things. The front control panel is removable so it can be pulled away from the scale part (connected by a cord) so very large things can be weighed without obscuring the display.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FSWB9K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I like it enough that I bought one for my son (also a homebrewer) for Christmas.

kitchen scale if I need to weigh grains.
cheapie battery operated digital postal scale for hops

Back