What kind of yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikelikesit2000

Reaction score
I am going to make 5 gal of cider this week. Going to add DME, Honey, Cloves, Cinnimon, and a Vanilla bean. I dont want it to end up too dry. I would like it to retain some of the sweetness and fruitiness. What yeast should I use?

Thanks

I used notty an it still came out on the dry side but i backsweetened it an kegged it! Last time i did a cider i used champane yeast and it was like like F###ING rocket fuel,never again.I think the only way to not dry it out is to stop it fermenting at ur target gravity.

Ferment. Kill off the yeast with Sorbate and campden. Then back sweeten.

Easy peasy so long as you want the final product to be still or if you plan to force carb.

Ferment. Kill off the yeast with Sorbate and campden. Then back sweeten.

Easy peasy so long as you want the final product to be still or if you plan to force carb.
I do plan to force carb. I dont want to have to use any type of artificial sweetener though. I wonder what else I could use to sweeten it.

Apple juice, honey, sugar, molasses, brown sugar, etc.

+1. Any natural or processed sugar will be fine so long as you've properly waged a chemical warefare on the microbiology. Sorbate upper cut with a Campden right hook will turn the lights off on just about anything that wants some sugar.

Let it flocculate brite and get it into a keg and on some gas.

coates de blanc, S-05 beer yeast , English cider yeast from white labs. I do a cider with Champaine yeast but it needs to sit for a year or two before drinking. It needs to mellow...

I used cotes de blanc on mine, killed the yeast and back sweetened with 2 cans Apple juice concentrate and it turned out great!

Back