What kind of keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTG

Farm Out!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Peoria, AZ - Originally from Rocket City USA
One of the local scrap yards down the street from my office has some interesting kegs. One batch look like 3 gallon, polished, stainless, corny kegs with a set of protective stainless rings at the top to protect the connectors. The other group of kegs look like standard stainless kegs about 4 feet tall and about 30 gallons. I haven't seen the connector to know but they look like they have some type of sanke connector possibly. The smaller ones are labeled as having flammable materials inside.

Anyone have any ideas? I will try to get some pictures.

GTG

the flammable materials raises a few eyebrows.
it may of contained something you might not want to deal with.

I'm surprised you found these at the scrap yard if they're marked flammable. Most scrap yards that I've checked into won't take anything that once contained hazardous/flammable material.

If they are stainless you can probably clean them to where they're safe to use, but it would be up to you if you're willing to take the risk. You might check to see if there are any chemical names or numbers listed on it you can look up.

the flammable materials raises a few eyebrows.
it may of contained something you might not want to deal with.

Yeah, think I would stay away from those -- we use a lot of very nasty chemicals these days.

Back