What kind of beer would this be...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paymygasbill77

Reaction score
I had some random ingredients laying around the house that needed to be used up. I threw a bunch of suff together and came up with a wort that smells and tastes great.

My problem is I don't know what to call it.

Grain Bill
10# Domestic 2 row
2# 60 crystal malt
1# Oatmeal Flakes
1# Chocolate malt

Other Fermentables:
1# of Molassas.

1oz of East Kent at 60min

.75oz Fuggles at 15min
.75oz Fuggles at flame out.

I Mashed for 2 hours at 54 degrees.

Sparged to get a total of 7.5 gallons

Boiled down to 5 even.

I am using WLP005

Scottish...ish

I actually made something quite similar to this recently. extract with lots of caramel malt and chocolate malt.

Sorry, Let me clear this up...

I only added 1# of Chocolate malt.

It's late and I didn't have a set recipe to work with. Thankfully I keep good notes.

I would swing for a Scottish, brown ale with a little porter, and overbearing hops notes?.......I dont know?....call it "Gaspaymybills"

Seems closest to a Brown Porter. Depends on what it looks and tastes like when it is finished though. I use oats and a lot of chocolate malt in my Porter to give it a very smooth flavor.

Well, It's done fermenting. I took a sample and it tastes pretty good. It tastes like a brown ale that has a mild molassas aroma. It's slightly darker than a brown ale, but thats ok. The hops were a bit old so it has a pretty good balance.

It is far from my best but so far I'm happy with it.

Latest posts

Back