What kind of beer did I just make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omazing

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a rookie brewer. I live in a dry country so access to ingredients is limited.

I made this 5G batche and I don't know what type of beer it is. here are the details:

6 lb Briess Golden Light DME + 1lb Pilsen German grain + SafBrew T-58 yeast + Irish Moss +11oz hallertau millerfruh hops

Hello everyone,
I'm also a rookie and I have a similar question that omazing made. I searched online and it looks like some kind of Hefeweizen, I also used Brewer's Friend online calculator but there wasn't any match.

Here's what I used for a 6L batch using:

1021g grain BIAB (90 min)
- 500g Pilsner (49%)
- 320g Wheat (31.3%)
- 201g Abbey (19.7%)

90 min boil
1.41h Challenger Hops | 8.5% (added at 15min)
4.25g Magnum Hops | 15.5% (added at 60min)

11.5g Fermentis Safbrew Safale S33 - yeast starter (abbey malt) at 20ºC

Thanks in andvance!

Hefeweizen? That's a German style.

No, I take issue with that.
I'd have to say the yeast is the primary ingredient that influences flavors determined by your grain bill. Hop choice matters. too.
I believe S-33 is a Belgian strain and you have a wheat beer, but a hefeweizen (in my opinion) needs a German yeast strain - and if you're a purist at heart - imported German grain with noble hops.

Last edited:
Hi Lefou, thanks for your reply!
It was just out of curiosity, since i reused someone else's ingredients and I didn't follow any specific recipe.

And yes, you are right. I guess "Belgian Witbier" it's more accurate (but i didn't used coriander seeds and orange peel).
Maybe i'll just say it's a "wheat beer" :)

S-33 is an English ale yeast, mislabeled as Belgian (I think because it has a high alcohol tolerance)

Just calling it "wheat beer" and leaving it non-specific sounds like a good idea. :) I brewed one like that 2 years ago with T-58 yeast fermented warm, and really liked it. No idea what the actual style was.

I never use S-33. That said, I had to to a bit of snooping around.
Fermentis lists it as a neutral yeast with moderate attenuation.

Other sites say it's for Belgian or Trappist ales, quoting the apparent attenuation as 70%, then rattles off a list of English style ales.
Really?
With an attenuation rate of 70%, a Trappist ale? Wits, yes, and singles, maybe, but abbey ale? Is someone pulling my schnitzel?
The information seems sorta contradictory because I typically choose liquid yeasts for different reasons, but I get it.

Thank you both.
Good to know, mine is still a few weeks away before it's ready, looking forward!
I'm really loving this forum, lots of good reads, I should have registered more time ago.
Schnitzel haha :)

Hey guys, I'm a rookie brewer. I live in a dry country so access to ingredients is limited.

I made this 5G batche and I don't know what type of beer it is. here are the details:

6 lb Briess Golden Light DME + 1lb Pilsen German grain + SafBrew T-58 yeast + Irish Moss +11oz hallertau millerfruh hops

how many gallons went into the fermenter?
what is your OG?
what did your boil and hop schedule look like?

this could be quite tasty :)

i'd guess you're going to get "tripel-ish" flavor profile, but not quite as dry.

J.

Briess has an excellent data list of their grain products for public use.

Using an online calculator like Brewers Friend, the OG can be estimated at around 1.048. The ABV can be estimated, too, yielding a sweet, light, and clear malty beer loaded with hops - IF all 11oz. were used.

Back