What kind of apples to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billc68

Reaction score
I just got my hands on a juice press and was thinking I should try a wild apple cider this fall.

My original idea was to just hunt around some old abandoned apple orchards or hedgerows and look for palatable apples and juice them. However, I am learning that "cider apples" do not necessarily have to be palatable for eating. What should I be looking for?

There are 1000s of old apples trees around here in fact two bordering my property, no two are the same of course as they are wild, occasionally I find really sweet ones near old homesteads etc (obviously planted for eating many years ago)

For cider, the tarter the better. If they are sour enough to make you pucker, they'll make great cider.

I started a thread about Cider apple trees that got some good responses.

I'd also check out Andrew Lea's website on cider making. That will give you some really good info on what type of apples to look for, and how to "formulate" the blend.

Thanks for the links, is there anything specific to wild apples? I am sure some of the apples in the old orchards might be great for cider, but I will just be tasting and picking what tastes right and that is where I will be challenged.

If they are in old orchards, there MIGHT be a chance that they aren't actually wild. Although not knowing the variety is as good as being wild.

One step might be to pick a few of each type you can find, crush and squeeze just enough juice to test for pH and acidity (probably malic acid) and sugar content (with a refractometer). Here is some info on tannin and how to measure it. At a glance, it looks somewhat complicated though. If the apple makes your mouth dry like tea that has been steeped waaaaay too long, that is tannin.

That way, you can roughly get an idea of the apples you are dealing with.

If they are in old orchards, there MIGHT be a chance that they aren't actually wild. Although not knowing the variety is as good as being wild.

One step might be to pick a few of each type you can find, crush and squeeze just enough juice to test for pH and acidity (probably malic acid) and sugar content (with a refractometer). Here is some info on tannin and how to measure it. At a glance, it looks somewhat complicated though. If the apple makes your mouth dry like tea that has been steeped waaaaay too long, that is tannin.

That way, you can roughly get an idea of the apples you are dealing with.

Well, I have definitely tasted Tannin in apples. Should I go some sour, some dry? or try to get some that are both dry and sour? I am sure if I just got enough random apples, I would probably have a nice blend.

Back