What is your favorite local beer (besides Homebrew)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quasimodo, a quad from 3 Taverns.
The Didjits, a Blood Orange IPA from Burnt Hickory.
Wake and Bake, a breakfast stout from Terrapin.

Squatters Hop Rising Double IPA is my all time favorite beer. Wasatch has a good IPL called Snap Down Header. Uinta Cutthroat Pale Ale and WYLD Extra Pale Ale are both really tasty too. Oh and Bohemian Brewery's Viennese Lager is really good as well. I love our local breweries in Salt Lake City. And I almost forgot about Epic's Rio's Rompin’ Rye Ale which is an amazing Rye Ale.

Here in the Philly area we're blessed to have Victory Brewing and I love their Dirt Wolf. A much smaller local brewery in nearby Adamstown, PA is Stoudt Brewing Company and their Scarlet Lady ESB has been a favorite for a long time.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

As a guy from Central Nebraska, all I can say is "local is subjective". We have Thunderhead Brewing which has Golden Frau. That's Good. If you go to the Brewery, they also have a Jalapeno Ale that is good. I consider Lincoln close too, and Empyrean's Third Stone & Burning Skye are favorites as well. Also, I really like this Pale Ale I tasted from a new brewery opening up in Ord Nebraska called Scratchtown... Soooo it's all local, even the ones 120 miles down the road....

In Metro Atlanta I'd say Three Taverns Night in Brussels Belgian IPA, Strawn Amber, and Monday Night Eyepatch IPA

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Dave's Brewfarm, their Funk series. Loved I and II, can't wait to try III but it's on the other side of the state.

Semi Local - Hinterland Brewing out of GB is excellent.

A bit of a drive gets you to Madison and MKE, both have excellent breweries.

Madison has a thriving local scene. I really like Karben 4, because they are right by my office (in the old Ale Asylum building). There is a new brewery in the area, whose name I can't remember, that are coming out strong, using local hops. Wisconsin Brewing out of Verona has the potential, and the new infrastructure, to really be great in two years. Their beer isn't 100%, but it will be.

Of course, Ale Asylum, who built a larger brewery a half-mile from their old location, are still firing on all eight, and the Great Dane (brewpub; four in Madison/Fitchburg, one in Wausau) still have great brews, as well as great food. Vintage Brewing, I haven't been to in years, so no report on them. One Barrel is a myth, and I don't know the secret handshake, so no report on them, either. There are probably a half-dozen others in Madison, but since I don't live anywhere near downtown, nor anywhere near a bus line, I haven't had the privilege of discovering them.

The favorite, at the moment, is the Karben 4 Rye PA.

Fireman's 4 is a great session beer out of Real Ale Brewing, think it's in Blanco, Tx

Troeg's in Harrisburg, PA. Depending on the mood I prefer:

Nugget Nectar (imperial amber)
Troegenator (doppelbock)
Java Head (coffee stout)
Perpetual IPA
Sunshine Pils
HopBack Amber

Madison has a thriving local scene. I really like Karben 4, because they are right by my office (in the old Ale Asylum building). There is a new brewery in the area, whose name I can't remember, that are coming out strong, using local hops. Wisconsin Brewing out of Verona has the potential, and the new infrastructure, to really be great in two years. Their beer isn't 100%, but it will be.

Of course, Ale Asylum, who built a larger brewery a half-mile from their old location, are still firing on all eight, and the Great Dane (brewpub; four in Madison/Fitchburg, one in Wausau) still have great brews, as well as great food. Vintage Brewing, I haven't been to in years, so no report on them. One Barrel is a myth, and I don't know the secret handshake, so no report on them, either. There are probably a half-dozen others in Madison, but since I don't live anywhere near downtown, nor anywhere near a bus line, I haven't had the privilege of discovering them.

The favorite, at the moment, is the Karben 4 Rye PA.

Practically every brewery in Madison is using local hops to some extent. Might you be thinking of House of Brews?

My go to is Founders, I work a block or two away. Red's Rye, Centennial IPA and their Oatmeal Stout being my favorites. South a little ways is Bells. I enjoy an Oberon or Two Hearted there. If I'm over by the lake a Mad Hatter at New Holland is always good.

Thirsty Dog Ankle Biter--session IPA. Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald is a close second. It's a well-made Robust Porter.

When I lived in MD it was Evolution Brewing in Salisbury MD (formerly in Delmar DE)

Now that I live in NC I would have to go with Oskar Blues in Brevard.

New Braunfels isn't that big of a town, but somehow we are blessed to have 3 different breweries, plus many more within a short driving distance.

Faust Brewing Company - Altered States Altbier
New Braunfels Brewing Co - Erdeweiss
Guadalupe Brewing Co - Scotch Ale

I used to live within walking distance of the first two; that was hazardous to my health/wallet. :cross:

Trillium: Fort Point Pale Ale. Dare I say it's better than Zombie Dust?

I've had hundreds of different beers over the years, and this one definitely makes my top 10. If you're ever in the Boston area, get it.

South Jersey here (between exits 3-4)... Flying Fish is practically in my back yard. I could easily stumble home, but I'm not a huge fan. It's so close and I like supporting local business, but they really don't make great beer. They make beer that ranges from below average to good, IMO.

I'm only about an hour from Victory, which to me is one of the best large craft breweries in the country. Not the best, but easily in my top 5.

Lots of breweries popping up all over the place including 3 from members of my brew club. A small, boutique tasting room just opened by 2 guys. Another larger distribution brewery for another group is very close to opening. And there's a third in the initial planning phases. Have big expectations for all of these guys/friends.

I also have 2 fantastic Iron Hill Breweries by me. One is less than a mile away, right down the street and another about 15min from me. Both make outstanding beer. The Maple Shade location is constantly winning awards.

Then there are all the breweries in Philly. I consider myself very lucky to live where I do.

Plenty to choose from here in DFW, but my favorite (so far) would be Sugar & Spice from Martin House.

hard to name just one...

Karbach Weisse Versa
Lone Pint Yellow Rose
Saint Arnold Pumpkinator (seasonal)

Cigar City Jai Alai

JAIALAI_SALES.jpg

I work in Ft Lauderdale and the Funky Buddha Brewery is down the road. I recommend the Hop Gun IPA.

Blue Stallion Brewery in Lexington, KY. Hard to pick a favorite...I guess the Dunkel, or the German Pilsner, or the Oktoberfest. Truthfully, I haven't tried anything thing there that wasn't great.

NOLA Irish Channel Stout
NOLA MechaHopzilla
NOLA Brown Ale (named our chocolate lab after this)
Parish Grand Reserve
Chafunkta Old 504
Bayou Teche Loup Garou
Tin Roof Parade Ground Porter

There aren't many breweries around where I live. But, the one that is closest is Toppling Goliath - about 10 minutes and I am there. I generally go with a Pseudo Sue if I am there. They also made a fantastic Porter for a year or so..... unfortunately, they have not brewed it in a year and a half or more. It was easily my favorite beer of theirs. I guess since it was not "imperial" or did not have 80+IBU's, they don't keep it in the rotation any more. Too bad, because it was a wonderful porter.

Fitger's Brewhouse - Edmund Fitzgerald Imperial Stout (Bourbon Barrel Aged)
Bent Paddle Brewing - Vanilla Cold Press Black

I live outside Philadelphia. Yard's makes a fantastic beer called Thomas Jefferson Tavern Ale. I'm not sure what the style is, but it's about perfect. Definitely in my top 10 all-time beers.

Unfortunately, both of my faves are seasonals: Portland Brewing's Oregon Honey Beer, and 10 Barrel's Swill.

Latest posts

Back