What is your experience with peated malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastarine

We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a wee heavy yesterday and my recipe included a very small amount (<0.5%) of peated malt. As I crushed the grain I could smell the peated malt and it smelled great. I really enjoy scotch and I thought about experimenting with a simple peated ale. I am imagining a simple 5% abv recipe, maybe just 2-row, a bit of C60 for body, and peated malt with minimal hopping, maybe an ounce of willamette at 60, and a clean yeast like pacman. I was just wondering what experience others have had using it in larger amounts, and how much might be too much if it were going to be the lead flavor of the beer?

When I use a peated malt I only use at most an once or two in a 10 gal batch.

While I agree that it adds a interesting flavor to the beer, it really is not to style for a scotch ale. But, I never brew to style, I brew what I like to drink!

"Not to style for a scotch ale" is really up for debate IMO. The BJCP does, afterall, say "A small proportion of smoked malt may add depth, though a peaty character (sometimes perceived as earthy or smoky) may also originate from the yeast and native water." I realize that it wasn't a historically traditional ingredient, but I taste an earthy smokiness in some commercial style examples, and I like it. I don't think I'd get any from my water, so we'll see how my wee heavy comes out with 1.5oz in 5gal. This is my first stab at the style.

As a side note, the fermentation of this beer simply refuses to be contained. Sometime overnight after pitching it blew the top off the carboy/blowoff rig, and later it filled its blowoff jug with krausen. Fermenting S-33 at 68*F.

S-33 for a Scotch Ale? Isn't a Scotch ale supposed to be relatively clean without yeast flavors? Here's a good resource, Greg Noonan wrote a decent book on Scottish brewing:
http://***********/component/resource/article/722-great-scot

I did some searching and it seemed like S-33 could be kept relatively clean. It also has a high alcohol tolerance.

Here is someone else who agreed https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/scotch-ale-recipe-kit-128470/

Back to my original question, how much would you think to use in a beer like the one I described, jma? 6oz maybe? I want the flavor to dominate the beer but still be enjoyable.

I would sure love to hear how a peated ale turns out. I always hear how potent the stuff is, but have never played around with it. It is next. I started with Rauch malt, which I now mix in small amounts into my stout recipe. Not for an overtly smokey flavor, but for a depth.

So keep us posted. And ignore all the people deciding what is and isnt beer. good heavens people!

And ignore all the people deciding what is and isnt beer. good heavens people!

I wasn't saying the beer would be bad, I was just thinking it may not be the beer he was expecting. However, if S33 is clean at the fermentation temp he's using it should be fine. All of us are here to to make whatever the hell we want to drink, I wouldn't have it otherwise!

I too would like to hear how the peat comes out. Almost every source I've read about it says to stay away or use extremely sparingly, so it sounds like a good candidate for some light experimentation to find the right amount to use.

I am trying to replicate a porter where the "signature" ingredient was peat and I have found that about 1% gives plenty of peat flavor, maybe a bit too much actually.

I am trying to replicate a porter where the "signature" ingredient was peat and I have found that about 1% gives plenty of peat flavor, maybe a bit too much actually.

That's useful, thanks. I'll probably try 1% as a starting point. I am tempted to try 1.5%, since what might be too much in a porter might not be too much in a "peat beer", but I'd much rather have a pale ale with a hint of peat than a pint of ash tray. I can always add more next time.

The first time I used peat, I put 8 oz (about 2.5%) in a barley wine. It took a year to get to the drinkable point. The next batch was 2 oz. Much better.

I wasn't saying the beer would be bad, I was just thinking it may not be the beer he was expecting. However, if S33 is clean at the fermentation temp he's using it should be fine. All of us are here to to make whatever the hell we want to drink, I wouldn't have it otherwise!

Sorry phased... I was reacting partly to comments here, but mostly to other threads that I quickly reviewed on peated malt. not to style not to style it will be horrible blah blah blah :D

I just had a bad moment.

I am better now! :mug:

I have brewed several Scotch ales this past year(Based on the Hammer and Nail recipe), tweaking them a little bit each time. The original recipe called for 3oz. liked it so much that my second brew used 4oz. There was a big difference from 3-4oz. I thought it took away from the maltiness and became a distraction rather than a benefit.

I used 1.5% in a barley wine - I like the taste - adds to the complexity without being overpowering. I too like a nice smokey scotch, so am not put off by the peat flavor.

I brew the stone smoked porter clone from BYO magazine. It uses .25LB for a 5.5gal batch. Smells and tasted wonderful.

Used 3oz in an english pale (total grain bill of 10lb). Perceivable, pleasant, not overpowering flavor. Combines well with goldings and fuggle hops....earthy.

Back to my original question, how much would you think to use in a beer like the one I described, jma? 6oz maybe? I want the flavor to dominate the beer but still be enjoyable.
I use 2 Oz in my wee heavy recipe (total 17lbs for 5.5 gal) and it is noticeable in the flavor, a little goes a long way. 6oz may be a bit much I'd start at around 4oz even if that is the flavor you want to dominate.

I placed my order:

9 lb 2-row
12oz C60
3oz Simpsons peated malt
1oz willamette @ 60

I plan to ferment with pacman unless something goes wrong with my yeast washing, in which case I will use US-05.

Peat malt? Blech!

I used it once in a Scottish Ale my LHBS set me up with for my 3rd batch. It used 2oz in a 5 gallon batch. That beer tasted like campfire for months. Never again will I touch that malt. A couple of my friends, however, loved that beer. Go figure.

I've used peat a couple of times. A friend of mine brewed a peat smoke IPA that was outstanding so I thought I'd try it in a porter. I screwed up the recipe and put 2lbs of peat smoke in a 5.5 gallon batch. I will use peat smoke again but this beer tasted like a campfire. Everyone says they love it but I know they're lying.

Could you use the peat as a steeping grain?

I mean, with so little of it in the grist it is not really adding a whole lot of sugars. So why not do some mini batches and steep the peat malt instead of mashing it? Especially if you have multiple heat sources for boiling - (and with mini batches you could easily do it inside..) So you can mash yourself the grains for a 5 gallon recipe and split your runnings into two 2.5 gallon batches, hop them identically but in one steep X amount of peat and in the other steep Y amount of peat, and see what you think of each. Plus, if neither of them nail what you're aiming for, you can then blend them...

I have never had a peated or a smoked IPA, but now that bdennis mentions it, it sounds like a great idea... why not test that too, and tell us all about it!

I just bottled my Subtly Peated Porter and it tasted very good Green. The smoke was just an subtle aftertaste and it complimented the hops and malt beautifully. I will use it again. (Note: I Steeped the grains instead of mashing which may have reduced the punch of the smoke)

OG:1.050
FG: 1.017
IBU: 31-32
SRM: 24
ABV: 6%

6 lbs LDME
1 lb Chocolate Malt
1 lb Crystal Malt 6 Row 10L
.5 lb Roasted Barley
1/4 lb Peated Malt
2oz Styrian Goldings Hops 3.5 (60 min)
.5 Styrian Goldings Hops 3.5 (30 Min)
.5 Styrian Goldings Hops 3.5 (at Flame Out)
Nottingham Yeast

i used less than 1% in a small malty "scotch"-style beer (OG like 1.055), and it was pretty much the only thing you could taste.

if you're going to use it in a beer, make sure there's a lot of other roast and such to compliment the peat. i.e. homebrewchef's Hair of the Dog Adam clone

Haven't myself, but I had a pale ale made exclusively from apple-wood home-smoked 2-row and while a few people thought it just tasted bacony, I thought it was heavenly as did most others.

My wee heavy turned out to be freakin' awesome. Here are tasting notes from two friends/beerophiles:
Aroma-

Curtis : Aroma is dominated by malty notes with almost no hop character. Notes of chocolate, plum, raisin, slight tinge on the nose from the alcohol content that seems to subside to toasty/biscuity aromas. Beer does seem to give off a slight bit of fruity ester nose which for the style I think almost compliments it but possibly fermentation temp was maybe a bit too high for the style but it could have been accentuated by the alcohol.

Carson : Nose is sweet and almost belgian. Quite fruity with lots of raisin, chocolate, light notes of coffee and heavy dark fruit notes. Slight alcohol burn that compliments the fruity esters. Bourbon whisky character possibly very subtle?

Appearance-

Curtis : Ruby red to brown in color, great clarity for a dark brew. Head lacked quite a bit on this beer, I noticed very little head with small bubbles and little to no lacing of the glass.

Carson : Color is great and style specific. Ruby red with a hint of brown. Lightly cloudly in clarity. Head was off white hint of brown with moderate retention, small bubbles.

Flavor-

Curtis : Wonderful flavor that gets better towards the alcohol finish. Very malty/sweet up front that turns into caramel/plum and finishes w/ a biscuit/toasty flavor.

Carson : Heavy malt dominated character with slight alcohol burn. Dark fruit with lots of raisin, light oak, possibly bourbon flavor. May be a bit a bit too sweet for the style possibly.

Mouthfeel-

Curtis : Body falls in line perfectly with the impression of the beer, nice and thick and it coats your mouth even after swallowing the sip. Carbonation in the beer is spot and beer has an almost creamy character.

Carson : Medium to heavy body. Silky mouthfeel and very balanced.

Overall Impression-

Curtis : Wonderful beer Jon, every aspect of this beer fell in line and did not catch me off guard except for the head on the beer. I am thinking it could possibly benefit from 6-8 ounces of flaked barley next time to promote a big rocky head on this that would stick to the glass.

Carson : Overall this beer is spot on for the style in my limited experience. Most highly ranked wee heavy's draw similar characteristics but are a bit more dried out. My only critique is the sweetness exuded by this beer, maybe drop the FG lower next time possibly.

The peated malt was present just enough to draw some intriguing smoky flavors that couldn't actually be identified as peat smoke. The yeast did contribute some fruitiness which goes great in the beer even if it isn't typical of the style. One other interesting note: the critiqued samples were bottled. The beer produces a modest but pleasing head when poured on tap.

about 3 months back I brewed a Scottish Ale with about and oz or 2 of peated in it and it came out really good. especially good 3 months later. Peated is a little aggressive at first but it mellows out beautifully.

Back