What is your beer personality? (Article link)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I'm a beer geek with some populist and gourmand tendencies.

Same here. I love craft brew and try as much as possible. I homebrew. If I'm planning on being out all day drinking beer I'm going to opt for Bud Select or Michelob Ultra because you can drink your weight in them without doubling your weight and the abv is right in that "let's have a good time all day long without getting smashed" range.

I like the 5-category breakdown! I'd say I'm somewhere around 80% Geek, 15% Populist, and 5% Gourmand.

Yeah, there's a few of those folks on here. Look at any of the "Bmc bashing"/"Beer Wars is the greatest movie ever" threads.

I USED to claim being a beer snob but this article defines me differently, which I guess is a good thing! I openly dislike BMC and refuse to buy it. (I will however cook with party leftovers or someone else's) I am not a fan of Beer Wars beyond it being a beer movie, I am a big boy and can make informed decisions based on my own experiences. As for other people being "Beer snobs per the article's description" I certainly think these people exist. I do not think they are in big numbers, even on HBT but they are very real.

A friend of mine posted this link on Facebook and I liked it so much I thought I would share. It may be possible for the HBTer's to adopt this sort of 5 grouping model to better define ourselves to others.

:mug:

What makes this article tough is that it is more about how other people perceive you than how you perceive yourself. I would hope that I come across as a beer geek. I've never bought a BMC but I've never refused one when offered it either.

I am a bit obsessive about learning everything there is to know about beer. When I run into an issue I'd much rather already know the answer than have to look it up. I'm a little afraid that I might come across as a know-it-all sometimes though. When my wife starts rolling her eyes I know it's time to shut up and talk about something besides beer.

Well stated bleme, well stated and I agree.
I have purchased BMC and do so on occasion. I like beer, all kinds of it, I like to study beer and it's history and the tradition of brewing. I also shut up when I see my wife, daughter or grand daughter roll her eyes... but knowing it all ? I am so far from even knowing a little, I am passionate about beer ... others may say obsessed. Oh well

Cheers

BrewerinBR said:
Well stated bleme, well stated and I agree.
I have purchased BMC and do so on occasion. I like beer, all kinds of it, I like to study beer and it's history and the tradition of brewing. I also shut up when I see my wife, daughter or grand daughter roll her eyes... but knowing it all ? I am so far from even knowing a little, I am passionate about beer ... others may say obsessed. Oh well

Cheers

"They delight in talking about their favorite beers and rarely feel they need to come off the smartest monkey in the brew zoo (even though they often are)"

My favorite part

Seems to be a very fine line between "Geek" and "Know it all".

I'd like to think I'm a geek... If you want to find some snobs just hit up beer advocate, they're abundant.

Back