What is this film on top of my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awvyen

Reaction score
I have a brown ale on day 14, OG was 1.048. It was at 62 depress for 12 days and only got to 1.022, so I moved it upstairs where it sat at 71 for 2 days with no change. When I opened it up to keg it tonight there was a white film over the top, ever seen anything like this?

image.jpg

How does it taste/smell? doesnt matter. If it tastes bad and smells bad bottle or keg it anyway. It may turn out fine. If its tastes bad later, consider it a learning experience.

In my opinion (and based on my opinion-not knowing the recipe, additional information), I'd bottle/keg and see what happens even if it tastes and/or smells bad. You just never know.

The key is getting the beer away from the bacteria as soon as possible and if possible. If infection is suspected bottle or keg immediately with this style.

Something happened though that likely stopped or slowed fermentation. At least if bjcp guidelines are the standard.

What was the recipe?

There is a whole thread on infections. Keg n drink up (try n leave behind the film). Clean, sanitize, n brew another batch.

Just my 2 cents here but i would suggest not kegging it but bottling instead.
That way you wont get your keg infected potentially spoiling later brews.
That and a bottling bucket/wand is much cheaper than a keg.

I see what looks like yeast rafts. The glare from the light makes it hard to see if a pellicle is forming.
You do need to increase your sanitation awareness. The inside surface of your bucket lid is in contact with an unsanitary surface. I hope you sprayed it with Starsan before putting it back on the bucket.

Back