What is low alcohol fermented carrot juice called?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusty Paulson

Reaction score
Hello All,

For a while now I have been experimenting with some different Cider making techniques/yeasts/apple juices/etc. I had the idea that making a "Carrot Cider" would be an interesting thought. I currently have a very small half-gallon batch of carrot juice sweetened with a few ounces of local unfiltered honey fermenting. I was curious to know if this has a specific name? The closest official category I could find would be a lambic but I don't think that is quite right. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/carrot-wine-is-delicious.145532/

Edit:
But since you're using honey, it's more like a mead... so this might be a melomel....
Or maybe just "other mead"

Depends on the amount of honey I suppose... If it's mostly fermented juice, It's probably a wine.. if the honey is the primary fermentable, a mead.

This is exactly what I was thinking. However, it is about 50 ounces carrot juice and 2 ounces honey so maybe an "other mead". Otherwise, I agree this would be considered a low alcohol wine. Out of curiosity are there alcohol percentages that constitute a wine?

Lambic is beer, which is primary made using malted barley. You are definitely not making Lambic or anything close to it.

While "wine" typically refers to fermented grapes, any non-malted-grain, non-distilled fermented beverage could probably be called a wine.

Some particular "wines" have specific names:
Mead is fermented honey.
Cider is fermented apple juice.
Perry is fermented pear.
Sake is a particular type of [unmalted] rice wine.
Kombucha is sweet tea fermented with a mixed culture.
Etc.

Most other "wines" made from less conventional fruits, vegetables, flowers, herbs, etc, are called "country wines". In my opinion this term best describes what you've created.

There's not a particular alcohol level requirement to use the term "wine", but commonly a wine should contain a substantial amount, at least 5% ABV or higher. If heat is not used, this is needed for safety. Alcohol kills pathogenic bacteria and parasites.

Cheers

If you're looking for a creative name rather than a technical name, I propose "Funny Bunny"

It's not like rabbits need alcohol to help them get laid....

Lambic is beer, which is primary made using malted barley. You are definitely not making Lambic or anything close to it.

While "wine" typically refers to fermented grapes, any non-malted-grain, non-distilled fermented beverage could probably be called a wine.

Some particular "wines" have specific names:
Mead is fermented honey.
Cider is fermented apple juice.
Perry is fermented pear.
Sake is a particular type of [unmalted] rice wine.
Kombucha is sweet tea fermented with a mixed culture.
Etc.

Most other "wines" made from less conventional fruits, vegetables, flowers, herbs, etc, are called "country wines". In my opinion this term best describes what you've created.

There's not a particular alcohol level requirement to use the term "wine", but commonly a wine should contain a substantial amount, at least 5% ABV or higher. If heat is not used, this is needed for safety. Alcohol kills pathogenic bacteria and parasites.

Cheers

Thank you so much for the explanation! This is by far the most in-depth explanation of all the different types I have been able to gather. From what I was reading about Lambic I did not think that was it either but there are a lot of "Carrot Lambic" items out in the wild.

Would this be the same "Country Wine" category for different types of fruit as well? I am looking to do a mango, guava, passion fruit, and combinations of each in the coming future. I am not selling any of this by any means just wanted to have correct terminology when I talk to others about what I am accomplishing.

Thanks so much!!

Back