What is it about fall/winter and brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iron_Clad

Reaction score
The other day I was thinking how my beer consumption changes due to the seasons. In the summer (hate all you want) I pretty much only drink Bud Light. What can I say? I'm from eastern NC and it is HOT during the summer. But come fall/winter all I want is "good" beer. I'm a brewing rookie, and pretty much have only brewed last fall and, well, now.

It gets HOT down here in the summer, and I'll drink my fair share of the cheap stuff while working outside. It goes down like water and don't need to worry about getting drunk. If I'm inside in the A/C or when it's too damn cold out I'd much rather have an IPA, porter, something with flavor to relax.

I like to think of IPAs as more Summer and Spring ales, but I like them so much i'll drink them year round. Conversely, I typically reserve most of my heavier stouts, porters, pumpkin, and the like until the weather turns. I've been sitting on a bottle of Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti since May! But I do notice that a lot of my favorites do come out in the Fall for Winter. Its a good time of the year for good brews.

Back