What is forming in my wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catdaddy66

Reaction score
I have a random question from what is a seemingly random observance. It concerns solids I've noticed in two brews I made recently. About six months ago I brewed my third AG batch of Scottish ale. Used us-04 and had a very vigorous fermentation. When I opened the fermenter I saw what can only be described as a kitchen towel, balled up and floating on the surface of the brew! My heart sunk thinking of a ruined batch. I sterilized a plastic spoon to fish out the rag only it wasn't a rag... It broke apart easily so I think it may have been flocculated yeast. The beer was fantastic with no issues.

Yesterday I brewed a sMasH with Maris Otter and Columbus hops, again using us-04. I wasn't able to cool the wort rapidly so I left it alone and pitched the starter when I got home from work. When I took the lid off of the fermenter I didn't see a "rag" but smaller pieces about the size of a nickel/quarter. Here's what's funny... I hadn't pitched the yeast and it did this! WTH is it? I'm not that worried about the product, just don't understand what I'm seeing. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399332632.206974.jpg

The wort smells great and is only 24 hours old. It was sealed immediately after it was cooled to about 100* in 20 minutes or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It looks like fermenting beer to me.

It cannot be fermenting. I hadn't pitched yeast at that point. The example of the 'kitchen towel' could've been but the pic I posted is sans yeast.

sorry did not read the part about not pitching. Looks like something else pitched your yeast for you. Check your gravity, is it fermenting?

If it is truely fermenting, it could be a wild yeast infection or even bacteria (which will ferment wort). Do not dump it, pitch your yeast (ASAP) and let it ride out. Even if it is an infection, it may turn out fine.

sorry did not read the part about not pitching. Looks like something else pitched your yeast for you. Check your gravity, is it fermenting?

Well, I may not have sanitized completely but I didn't deviate from my standard procedure. I just pitched the starter so it is fermenting now if it wasn't before! Lol

I'll just let it go and see how it looks soon, but really don't want to crack the seal too often.

Yea, ride it out. If it is the same fermenter from the last batch it is probably that yeast, if it was a sanitation problem.

Agreed. Thanks for the input! I would like the post but can't from my iPhone on the HBT app

I'm gonna go with hot/cold break. I don't think even the gnarliest of wild yeasts would start up that quickly. I have had some really weird looking proteins form during the boil and cooling period. Did you filter the wort going into the bucket?

I'm gonna go with hot/cold break. I don't think even the gnarliest of wild yeasts would start up that quickly. I have had some really weird looking proteins form during the boil and cooling period. Did you filter the wort going into the bucket?

No but then I never do. I did note that I had less solids in my brew pot after the boil than I usually do.

Like I said, I believe my sanitation procedure is the same for years and never had an issue. I bottled Saturday and washed the Nottingham yeast. I then cleaned and sanitized a few hours before using the same bucket for my sMasH... I use chlorine to sanitize and did yesterday also, same ratio (1 oz/ 5 gal) and water at 140* to rinse. Hmmm...

The beer came out fine. No large particles and only saw clumps of flocculated yeast. Tasted like non carbonated beer... but could taste the malt strongly with mild flavor of the hops. This should ripen nicely!

Back