What is a good substitute for Wyeast 1450 (Denny's Blend)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustatorian

Reaction score
Gonna stop using Wyeast 1450. Takes forever for the yeast to ferment and I rarely hit the FG that beersmith calculates. Can anyone recommend a yeast they use for porters/stouts that have a similar flavor/aroma profile as 1450 but has more predictable results?

I use WL 002 for stouts, porters and other English styles. It would be interesting to rebrew the exact same recipe and use a different yeast.
Not hitting an expected FG may not be a yeast issue, there are many factors involved.
I used 1450 for a stout last year and can't remember any issues, but it was only one batch.
I think Denny is on HBT, you could probably ask him directly.

I just started using it recently and I am having the same issues of taking forever and not fermenting out completely. I am thinking about quitting using it. I started fermentation at 62F and moved up to 70F after a week. It still does not ferment out completely.

I just started using it recently and I am having the same issues of taking forever and not fermenting out completely. I am thinking about quitting using it. I started fermentation at 62F and moved up to 70F after a week. It still does not ferment out completely.

That's my story exactly. 63ºF for 72 hours, then a gradual rise to 70ºF. Kicked out about 4 points higher than expected FG

That's my story exactly. 63ºF for 72 hours, then a gradual rise to 70ºF. Kicked out about 4 points higher than expected FG

In the past Denny has mentioned that 1450 doesn't attenuate as much as other strains, so a higher than anticipated FG isn't that surprising to me.

I love 1450 in stouts and IPAs. I just adjust the mash temperature accordingly and it works great. Specifically I got sick of s-05 finishing too dry, so this helped. Plus it has a good flavour contribution.

Back