what is a good Hefeweizen fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxman06

Reaction score
hello
i just tride my Hefeweizen and it has a realy stong clove tast. what is a good temp to ferment at to get a mellow smoth tast. thanks

I would start by looking up the fermentation temps for your specific yeast and then shooting for right in the middle if you want a smoother taste. The higher the temp the more clove you're going to taste as a general rule.

I would start by looking up the fermentation temps for your specific yeast and then shooting for right in the middle if you want a smoother taste. The higher the temp the more clove you're going to taste as a general rule.

the higher temp does more banana. I did mine with white labs wlp300 @75 degF. Heavy on the banana b/c that is what i like :)

Go for the middle range of the yeast's preferred temp and you will get a balanced taste.

Different strains have different intensities as well. You might want to look through some reviews. Use google to search the site and you'll find tons of good info.

I would also think that making a starter would increase your cell count and decrease the phenols caused by strain.

What the above people say - I ferment mine at about 64 so I have to wait until January. Warmer will give you banana esters - cooler clove.

is it carbed? my dunkelweiss was mouth-suckingly clove until it was carbed, then the clove mellowed and the banana started to come thru.

Latest posts

Back