What if I don't use a carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
Well my first batch has been fermenting for six days. Im just curious what is the difference if I don't use a carboy to using one?? What does it effect?

There is really no difference and many people use buckets for fermenting. Carboys are nice as they are clear and allow you to see what is happening. That is really the only difference.

I took it as a carboy vs other vessel, not a secondary question. It's any body's guess. It's a pretty vauge question. However, I second wildwest's response, Not using one could be very messy. 5G of wort spreads a long way on the ground. :D

I was asking if I don't use a carboy at all and just a bucket what would be affected in the outcome of my product. I just read on the first repliers post that you can keep your beer in a fermentation bucket for an extended period of time and it would produce the same product as if you tranfered it to a carboy.

Lots of us use buckets for fermentation. I use buckets for primaries and better bottle carboys for secondary. Some question using plastic for long periods of time (month or more) though I don't know if there's really any evidence either way.

So can I leave my wert in the same bucket for another week or two and consider that a second fermentaion or should I get another bucket and pour it in the other one for second fermentation?

So can I leave my wert in the same bucket for another week or two and consider that a second fermentaion or should I get another bucket and pour it in the other one for second fermentation?

First, never, ever, ever pour your beer into another vessel. (Well, except at the end when you pour it into a glass!). Pouring oxidizes and ruins the beer. So, no pouring!

If you feel you must move beer, you gently siphon it ("rack" it) without splashing.

Secondly, you can keep it in the same bucket since it produces co2 and "blankets" the headspace for quite a long time. If you ARE going to move it, rack it to a carboy, not another bucket due to headspace concerns.

Exposure to oxygen ruins beer.

Yea I ment to write syphon but from what I read on that link that was posted.

I'm leaving my beer in the same container for another week or two. Then I'll bottle it this will also give me enough time to acumulate two cases of beer to consume so I have something to put my own beer in.

First, never, ever, ever pour your beer into another vessel. (Well, except at the end when you pour it into a glass!). Pouring oxidizes and ruins the beer. So, no pouring!

How would one know if they oxidized their beer? I didn't have the most successful siphoning experience with my first batch and it tastes pretty funky... I'm wondering if I inadvertantly oxidized it...

Thanks,
Jeff

From Palmer,
Oxidation is probably the most common problem with beer including commercial beers. If the wort is exposed to oxygen at temperatures above 80°F, the beer will sooner or later develop wet cardboard or sherry-like flavors, depending on which compounds were oxidized.

From Palmer,
Oxidation is probably the most common problem with beer including commercial beers. If the wort is exposed to oxygen at temperatures above 80°F, the beer will sooner or later develop wet cardboard or sherry-like flavors, depending on which compounds were oxidized.

That's talking about hot side aeration (HSA), since he mentioned "above 80F". You can oxidize the beer at any temperature, once fermentation has occurred. Wet cardboard is a good descriptor, as well as sherry-like. Sherry-like is more common in wines, and oxidized wines are said to be "madierized". If you're ever had sherry or madiera, that almost-brandy like note is oxidation.

I've done both, and I honestly haven't noticed a difference.

One way or another, if done correctly, there really should be no discernable change between beers that are done using secondaries or extended primaries. The clearing will happen, the tastes will clean up, the yeast will continue to do their jobs, etc.

The only time you're going to need a secondary is if you're planning on leaving the beer to ferment for a really extended period of time. The link Revvy gave you will pretty much cover everything.

I hate Carboys. I prefer using buckets for primary and seconday (I only secondary if I'm dry hopping). Buckets are much easier to clean and who's bright idea was it to use carboys as a dry hopping vessel? Getting hops in and out of that little hole is a pain in the ass. Give me something I can get my hands in.

From Palmer,

OMG it's the Boogie MAN!!!!!!!!!! err....HSA I mean.

You'll be fine leaving it in your bucket.

As a general rule, I use my carboy (better bucket) if I'm adding fruit or want a little extra clarity in the beer. Otherwise, I just leave it as is. Heck, I've used my better bottle for the entire process, primary through bottling....

Hope that helps you some.

So can I leave my wert in the same bucket for another week or two and consider that a second fermentaion?

Short answer - yes.

Slightly longer answer - there's no "second fermentation." Even if you transfer it, the only additional yeast activity you'll get is due to shaking it up a bit and adding some oxygen. Not a big deal, but also no real benefit unless you want to do something unusual (like rack it on top of fruit or something.)

Buckets are just fine unless you're aging the beer for several months or even years. In that case, you should transfer the beer to a glass or PET carboy as they are both oxygen impermeable where the buckets are not.

thank you so much guys. all of these answers add just a little more info i need to understand all of this.

Latest posts

Back