What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put in order for parts for a keezer. Now scrounging to find a cheap used freezer.

I've found that I can clear up a lot of clutter in the man cave/brewery if I go to kegging & get rid of all these darn bottles. Got more bottles to clean & save the labels from...

Oh yeah, I have bottles stuffed here there and everywhere... on the lookout for some cheap corny kegs... will save wear and tear on my spine too without all the bottle cleaning, filling, capping...

Brewing an AG Hop Head IPA from Midwest Supplies today. I've brewed it twice before. First time I thought it was my best brew, second time I believe it fermented too hot. Had a strawberry/bubblegum flavor.

Also kegged a Calypso IPA and moved a Belgian Tripel to secondary. I usually don't have this much home brewing going on at once. Cheers.

Went to the LHBS and bought several small items i needed. Grommets for the fermenter lids, whirfloc tabs, a few packets of dry yeast, a hopsock, a spare airlock etc.

Today I put my yeast starter in the fridge to cold crash.
Got my stuff organized for a brew tomorrow.
Read a few chapters of "The Craft Beer Revolution" by Steve Hindy - it's pretty interesting so far.

Today I did... Nothing. Absolutely nothing for beer. And that was a first in a very long time.

Well, after answering some questions about the finer points of bottling & the like, I'm finally getting in the mood to brew again! That mumme' gruit ale & my Hopped & Confused hybrid lagers are calling to me, begging me to brew them. Let them live again!...:mug:

Carefully studied the weather and ultimately decided my late start today means postponing brewing until sundown or early morning. I don't think my 2 step immersion chillers can cool wort to 70 when it is 97 out.

So I guess I'll rack that saison instead and continue with set up.

The flavors of the blood orange with hefe flavor. Besides, how much zest, etc to use?...Still looking to brew a good hefe with fruit, besides the traditional German one.

The flavors of the blood orange with hefe flavor. Besides, how much zest, etc to use?...Still looking to brew a good hefe with fruit, besides the traditional German one.

It has a decent orange aroma, but not overpowering. I got a good balance of clove and bananaup front, with neither dominating the flavor and it finishes with a hint of orange. It was a 5.5 gal extract batch using 9# 2oz of Briess Bavarian Wheat extract and WB-06 for the yeast. I let it sit on 49oz of Blood Orange Puree for about 10 days.

I would have liked a little more orange, but it is noticeable, and I am hoping that carbonation will help bring it forward some more (carbonated beer tastes so much better than flat beer. When I do it again, I may add the zest of 3 or 4 oranges to the secondary, or maybe late addition to the boil, or may just serve it with a slice of orange.

I kicked a keg of Old Speckled Hen and tapped a SMaSM (2 row, Simcoe, and Bry-97)

Bought the grains for a bee cave pale ale!:) I will wait a week for it to cool out side. I have a hard time justifying brewing when it is 100 plus. That is why I have a pipeline!:mug:

I kegged a Centennial Blonde and placed an order for an English Pale Ale. I am trying Mangrove Jack M07 British Ale yeast for this brew.

Bottled my one gallon batch of Trappist Single I made with yeast harvested from bottles of Rochefort 6, washed aforementioned yeast for future five gallon batches if the beer turns out good.

Yesterday, I sent the wife to the LHBS for ingredients for this weekends brew, a White IPA based on my Witbier recipe and some inspiration from Zero Gravity Conehead. Then I force carbed my Gose and sampled. YUM. It just needs a little more time on the gas to truly get to the high carbonation levels I want but it will be the perfect hot 4th of July beer.

I read through the AG Brewing section of How To Brew (again) and tweaked the Racer 5 clone recipe I'm going to do on Saturday. I've made it PM twice now, hoping the AG version will be tons better. AIHB says mash in with 1 qt/lb but I'm going to up it to 1.5 qt/lb. The cream ale I did last Saturday was 1 qt/lb but the mash was way too thick and I missed my volume. Husband goes to Vegas tonight, I'm off to the LHBS tomorrow after work to buy supplies!

Brewed an ipa, broke down 2 pounds of pellets into ounces, cleaned 3 kegs, and kegged a Mosaic pale ale and an Amarillo pale ale and dry hopped both.

Cleaned a couple kegs for my ESB which should be ready in a few days. And put the lager starter on the stir plate for my next brew.

Took a 22oz bottle of my Mosaic IPA to my local brewpub tonight, with intentions of asking the owner for his opinion. He wasn't there (family wedding), but cracked it anyway for the regulars and the bartender to critique. These guys don't pull any punches, told them I needed an honest opinion. Got mega thumbs up from all five of them, two of whom have been brewing for years. Long story short, only used 2 row for the malt, columbus to bitter, and lots of mosaic for flavor and aroma. Bitter on the back end but it doesn't stick around, finish is grapefruit and citrus. Even longer story short, I am highly jazzed that my beer got compliments out the yingyang. Gonna take a while for my head to deflate. I'm my own worst critic but I love this beer. Cheers!!!

Well the bee cave pale ale is in the mash right now and I hit the temp on the nose. Looking forward to getting this done early before it is hot.:mug:

Back