What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Played Dominos:
-- Kicked keg 1 Vienna Lager last night.
-- Cleaned keg 1 this AM.
-- Racked Czech Pils from fermenter to keg 1 and placed in lager chamber.
-- Moved keg 2 Old Specklen Hen into space vacated by keg 1 in kegerator.
-- Cleaned fermenter.
-- Tapped keg 3 Belgium Amber Ale for quality control purposes for tomorrows family cookout.
-- Brewed a 1.044 SMaSH Session Ale Lawnmower Beer and racked to now clean/empty fermenter.

What a great day!

Finished my brew stand finally(needed some stainless bolts). Burners are all screwed down and can't shift. I might cut some aluminum heat shields for under the burners if needed.

IMG_20160528_1809295891_zpsqnrdxhqb.jpg

Dumped the wild yeast starter I had been building up :( was a sad day. Was hoping the gross smell would go away the more I built up the yeast but that was not the case. All well. Easy enough to do and will so again. One day I'll snag me a saccs that'll knock socks off!

*I still have a Mason jar of wild yeast starter that doesn't smell had I've got high hopes for so that's a plus!

I had to brew and share some with my friend and then family came over. It was terrible as several pints were pulled and freed from the metal Keg prison. All In all a very good Day!

About to bottle up my batch of Norther Brewer's Ares' Biere de Mars. This should be carbed up and ready to drink just in time to take on a road trip to visit friends in a few weeks. :tank:

Also, yesterday I checked on my hops and barley. Pulled out a bunch of weeds surrounding the hops and trained some bines to the twine.

It's been a productive weekend.

started a midnight session of this Busty Blonde Ale so I could have beer in my fermenter before I go to work for 14 hours! I feel like I am making the best of my life today, who needs sleep when you can drink a pot of coffee and get 23lbs of grain converted before the sun comes up! 1.100OG 76% eff AG. Batch #36 is my busty b*tch - took me 1/2 the morning to come up with that and I am pretty proud of myself!

Checked the gravity on my kolsch ale and its hit final gravity 1.009 after only 5 days!! That must have been an active starter I pitched. Bumped up temp for another 5 days before cold crashing and kegging.

Began my starter for Saturday's brew. Using wlp810 for a lager but may need to step it up 3x's due to the need for more yeast. Also splitting up some grains and cleaning a couple of vessels.

Checked on two Pilseners and an APA that are fermenting. All are chugging away happily.

Fired up the new burners on the brew stand to burn the paint off. Timed how long it will take me t get to strike and sparge temps(15 minutes!) with 5 gallons of water. Also tested the boil off rate of the brew kettle, 1.25 gallons/hr. Ready to brew Sunday! Probably Chinook Ale from NB.

I ordered the ingredients for Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde. I am looking forward to this one.

Brewed my first lager. An October fest. First time used of my new Jaded Brewing Hydra IC. I have to say this thing is incredible. I have basically an unlimited quantity of ice so I pumped ice water through it. 12 gallons in the BK. Boiling to 50 degrees in 23 minutes. I was amazed. We were at ale temp is about 13 minutes. I have no affiliation with these guys but if you don't have one you need one.

dry hopped my first self-made recipe with 2.5oz of citra (hope its enough) and did my best to lighten my keg of my pale ale/ipa hybrid

Crushed 12 pounds of barley for tomorrows or Monday's brew session. Added a shelf to the brew stand to hold the propane tanks. Made a copper sparge bar(untested, if it doesn't work I am only out scrap copper and 1 fitting).

IMG_20160604_1715208131_zpsfuspvymt.jpg

Good day for homebrew yesterday. I delivered two cases of bottled APA wedding beer to a friend's celebration - all custom labeled for the event. In the evening I poured through a keg of double IPA at a community Shakesbeer fundraiser. Got a ton of really appreciative comments.

I bottled five gallons of Vienna lager, and started lagering my pre-Prohibition lager after its diacetyl rest.

Bottled 5 gallons of bitter that my friend loves this should get him thru the first part of the summer. The problem is summer here last about 6 months :)

Picked up the grain for a single gallon batch of Trappist single, and the specialty grains for the five gallons of amber ale. Now I just have to wait for the 50 lb sack of 2-row to come in.

I opened the lid of my fermentation chamber to view airlock action. It's tough work, but somebody has to do it.

Bottled 2 sours apricot and raspberry. I'm not loving the Apricot too sour and a touch too acedic. The raspberry smells like straight up raspberry jam not nearly as sour as apricot. Both beers were split from the same golden sour base and handled identically. Go figure.

Back