What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drove an hour each way to get my hands on five 24 cases of old school Canadian stubby bottles. Alot of these things are older than me and almost half of them still have the original labels!!

Here's a pic for anyone who doesn't know the bottle.

stubby bottle.jpg

Technically what I did for mead. Picked up some blowoff tubing and some EC-1118 at AHS, then watched a bunch of videos including interviews with Michael Fairbrother and Curt Stock. I think I'm ready for my first mead this weekend.

Have you listened to recent Basic Brewing Radio interview with Ken Schramm? It's not complimentary of ec-1118.

Have you listened to recent Basic Brewing Radio interview with Ken Schramm? It's not complimentary of ec-1118.

I pitched ec-1118 in a batch on 12/22/2013. I'll get back to you in June on whether Ken was talking out his ass. Hard to tell on radio podcasts sometimes...

Well, a little late now, but I'll listen to it for future reference. The ec-1118 was pitched on Saturday.

I pitched ec-1118 in a batch on 12/22/2013. I'll get back to you in June on whether Ken was talking out his ass. Hard to tell on radio podcasts sometimes...

Although I generally agree, given his reputation as a mead maker, I somehow doubt that's the case.

Drove an hour each way to get my hands on five 24 cases of old school Canadian stubby bottles. Alot of these things are older than me and almost half of them still have the original labels!!

Here's a pic for anyone who doesn't know the bottle.

Full sail uses those bottles. Only way I could cap them was with a bench capper but I love them.

Racked my M.A.D.E. Beer to secondary. I never do but I want to see if there is any benefit to help clear it. Sure, I could search and read countless opinions or I could take 15 minutes of my precious time and rack to secondary and see what happens. :mug: It's not quite 4 gallons but I think I love the beer so far.

Also added the 3/4" round labels to 3 beers. Those were a pita to get right in the printer but I love the idea stolen from a member here to just stick those on the caps. I'll label a beer that is special or some **** like that if a special time ever comes up.

Wired up the Ranco this afternoon. It was a huge exercise in patience, the wire mounting block screws were tightened by hercules in the factory. It took me longer to loosen those screws than it did for me to physically hook up the wires.

Although I generally agree, given his reputation as a mead maker, I somehow doubt that's the case.

Well, ended up listening to it in the background at work. We'll see how this batch turns out, but I was probably going to try another strain for the next batch anyway.

Fermentation temps have been pretty low, and I'm following a staggered nutrient schedule, so hopefully I can avoid ending up with rocket fuel.

I'm gonna try to find something close to molson export or labatts 50 to make and bottle in the stubbies for my dad. It should bring back some really fond memories for him.

Make sure its the old style export . Even better maybe molson stock ale.

Sent from my SGH-I757M using Home Brew mobile app

Installed a panel of computer fans into my fermentation freezer to replace the desk fan. Should save me a few watt-hours in electricity.

Started to map out an upcoming brew schedule. Between providing beer for a wedding reception, wanting to submit 10 different batches in the local homebrew competition this summer, and general consumption, I've got at least 14 batches to brew between now and June.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Started to map out an upcoming brew schedule. Between providing beer for a wedding reception, wanting to submit 10 different batches in the local homebrew competition this summer, and general consumption, I've got at least 14 batches to brew between now and June.

I have a similar amount planned in that time, thank god swmbo hasnt seen that piece of paper...

Hahaha! Mine hasn't seen "the list", but she knows it's coming. I will be picking up ingredients for the lagers this weekend, so I can get those knocked out first. Any particular styles you're focusing on? I'll be brewing a handful I'm comfortable with, and several handfuls that I've never done before. Looking forward to the additional learning curve.

I have a similar amount planned in that time, thank god swmbo hasnt seen that piece of paper...

Nicely done! There are many, many amazing brewing platforms I've seen on this site over the years, and I've come to appreciate the simplicity of wood. When I rebuilt mine last summer, I ended up doing a single tier wooden platform, primarily to justify getting a pump. 🍻. Not fancy, but relatively inexpensive, effective, and strong as an ox.

Built this.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Picked up ingredients for the patersbier I'll make this weekend and got a starter of 1214 going. While I was at the LHBS, I picked up a new autosiphon because my old one got some smudges of somethingorother inside, and it wouldn't come off no matter what I did. Better safe than sorry.

Also kicked a keg of dubbel to make room for the oatmeal stout that needs to be kegged this weekend. (Well, the last draw was only about 4 oz. Bummer.)

Finished up my two tap conversion on my Nastalgia kegerator. Not sure I dig the larger of the two tap handles yet, yes-no?. Tower is all steel, handles and caps are hand fabbed copper, went industrial with the visible solder. So much better with two taps rather than a picnic tap inside for the second keg.

tap tower.jpg

Placed a huge order from NB which included a saison recipe, 1 gallon Moo-hoo clone attempt recipe, bottle wax, two 1-gallon jugs and various other necessities. Also ordered some Olive and Sinclair chocolate bars for the moo-hoo clone :D

Entered the huge new giveaway. The drawing is on my birthday as well,so I hope that gives me extra luck! Gotta rinse some more bottles & get a few gallons of PBW goin to start delabeling them.

Placed a huge order from NB which included a saison recipe, 1 gallon Moo-hoo clone attempt recipe, bottle wax, two 1-gallon jugs and various other necessities. Also ordered some Olive and Sinclair chocolate bars for the moo-hoo clone :D

I just placed another order, this one from amazon. Got an stc-1000 controller with sensor, project box, and a wooden mash paddle! Thank you Discover reward points :D

Bottled my dry Irish stout. Ended up with 46 bottles. The sample I took before adding the priming sugar tasted awesome...best beer I've made so far (I've only done 5, but still).

Also cracked the first bottle of my Dead Ringer IPA. I just bottled it a week and a half ago, but couldn't resist. It was actually almost perfectly carbed and tasted great (2nd best beer I've made so far and only because I prefer stouts to IPAs).

Good day for beer!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I cleaned two kettles and a wort chiller, transferred my IPA to secondary and dry hopped it then cleaned the bucket and organized my equipment a bit...then stared at my misc grains and trying to come up with a recipe to brew Monday when I am off and the wife is working.

Sent from my HTCONE using Home Brew mobile app

I brewed a Belgian Quad...OG was 1.102. Mainly interested in trying the WLP545 yeast that is new to me.

Worked out water profiles for my Berliner Weisse, Arrogant Bastard clone, and Spruce Brown Ale. Then updated my water profile averaging spreadsheet with my water company's 2013 data. Probably should have reversed the order, but the changes are +/- a couple ppm, and it's not worth mucking with them.

Got some beer & vodka for the weekend while I was out. boxed up a load of bottle caps I collected up for a trade with a member on beer forum. Boxed some more bottles I rinsed out.

Checked in on my oat saison, added dry hops to an all Centennial session ale, and dry hops to an all Simcoe Black IPA based on the Alchemists El Jefe. I also started weighing out grains and adding oak cubes to mason jars of wine for my sour pipeline that I am starting on next week.

Brewed up a 5-gallon batch of IPA, kegged my Annibrewsary, and dried out some of the spent grain from the day's brew session.

Swmbo picked up a stir bar and a 200 flask fir me!! Also got me my first wine kit. :D major brownie points!!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Cleaned the brew kettle real well in anticipation of my upcoming brew day this weekend. Get the starter going tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I upped the temperature on my Belgian Quad to 78...doing so required reverting to the 100w bulb since the reptile heater just wasn't cutting it. Cleaned my brewpot, mash tun, mash paddle, a fermenting bucket, bottling bucket, wort chiller, and the like. Squeezed on my PET test bottle to see if my first IPA is carbing after bottling a week ago. Daue to a scheduling crunch* and the need for the fermenter, I had to add gelatin in the bottling bucket after racking the beer to try and clear it up some. I was worried that it wouldn't carb as fast or at all since I added gelatin and priming sugar at the same time. It's actually only a week in and the bottle is very firm.

*I had crushed grains for a big beer that I needed to use, and my other fermentation buckets are 6 gallon rather than 7...I prefer fermenting all in one vat rather than losing yeast via blowoff, and it requires a bigger bucket to do that. Hence the scheduling crunch. I've actually brewed three batches in the last month...which is a record for me.

Filled my swamp cooler with ice and wrapped with sleeping bags to get my Deception Cream Stout ready to rack to a borrowed keg on Sunday.

Kegged a black IPA, sample tasted very nice indeed.
Transferred Brooklyn summer ale clone to secondary.

Shall drink some O'Haras IPA later on with my dinner, taking the wife to a gastro pub for Valentines day

Back