What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Emergency beer line cleaning. Finally got a look at those guys in the light. More beer stone than I thought I'd have. But with all 4 taps full and my friends on vacation, stuff is hanging about longer than it should.

Oxyclean did great on 2 of 3 lines. The line with the most stone still has some. May need to invest in a proper line cleaner.

Ordered a fat sack of 2-row and a small grain mill. No crush complaints and efficiency excuses for me. Other than using some DME for yeast starters, I'm going AG.

organized my brewing supplies & equipment in new totes while tasting the first bottle of honey cream ale I brewed with my daughter.

Leadgolem said:
Huh. I honestly don't see the need to use anything other then water in an airlock or blowoff bottle, unless you are having issues with fruit flies. Those little bastidges will crawl in an airlock with water in it, but not one with distilled alcohol. Good luck with your new batch.

What did I do for beer today? Well, I drank more then a 750ml bottle of wine in 40 minutes. Does that count?

Thanks, no fruit flies, and I am now using a cheap bourbon in the blow off, if that gets sucked in, no problem.

I brewed a Belgian duppel, 2nd AG recipe, much better efficiency today thanks to my LHBS advice.

Finally got off my butt and bottled the second half of a 10 gallon batch of IPA (kegged the first half 15 days ago). I get to feel good for one evening. I have 10 gallons of blonde ale ready to keg or bottle tomorrow and all of my kegs are at least partially filled. I need to buy more kegs.

Tomorrow I'm going to try out my new 66" long,3/8" line cleaning brush from Keg connection for my bottling wand tubing,racking tubes,etc with some PBW. for today,I'm satiated from getting 49 bottles out of my PM Berlin lemonweisse. Party on of course! :ban::tank::ban:

was able to purchase 17 cornies and 2 shirron plate chillers for $480 out the door...

Well,yesterday was busy. I cleaned everything up from bottling day,including nearly a case of empties. Half of which came back from my lawncare guys whom I gave a mixed 12'r to for the 4th. Asked them to rinse the bottles before putting them back in the box to return. Of course they didn't. One was full of flies stuck on the inside. Had to do a soak-n-scrub to clean them all. They even lost one of my prized German bottles. Dang.
At least the fermenter & bottling bucket,hoses are all cleaned & sanitized. The yeast was washed as well. Get to relax today.

Picked up ingredients for 2 batches i will be making in the next week or so. Also picked up some already made beer :drunk: which tastes pretty good.

Forgot pics

image-200690411.jpg

image-4139858605.jpg

Got my WY3056 yeast washed into 2 Tostitos queso jars,& let'em settle 3 days in the fridge. Decided to get more yeast in one jar by draining off liquid into 2 sanitized glasses covered in plastic wrap. Swirled up the yeast in one jar,dumped into the other jar. Topped it off with saved liquid to fill the jar to the bottom of the threads. Back into fridge with more yeast to make a starter with next time.
Since I had some 55oz of yeast/liquid/trub left in the washing jar,I decided to do an article to submit on yeast washing with common stuff from the grocery store. Save for the Starsan & yeast of course. It'll be next week before it gets submitted though. May even do a slideshow for my youtube channel.

Filled 9 bottles and keg the rest of Spotted Cow.
Transferred an Altbier into secondary and stowed it in a closet covered by a hoodie to be long forgotten.

Picked up 28.75lb of grains for a 5.5gal imperial stout tomorrow

image-2981643076.jpg

Double mash and a two hour boil, gonna be a long day tomorrow

Got the rest of the grain for a 10 gallon Blonde. Brewing tomorrow! Going to pitch 2 yeast (one in each fermenter). Got the 1098 (London Ale) and 1272 (American II). Looking forward to tomorrow, but off to the yard work for today.

Cheers!

Ran string for my hop plants to grow towards the house. Also pumped co2 into my Conan Vienna simcoe Amarillo omg the Amarillo hops smell down right amazing with simcoe and Conan yeast. I can't wait to try this one.

ForumRunner_20130713_174453.png

ForumRunner_20130713_174507.png

Well,that Vlasic 1G kosher dill jug worked darn good for washing some yeast.
Got all but a hair less than 1/2" out before trub slid up the side. There was about 4" of compacted trub on the bottom of the jug. Wild how that much trub got washed out. So now I got 3 tostitos jars of clean WY3056. got a bigger jar of the same to wash tomorrow. Then onto two batches of WL029.
Lots of trub going down the drain! :ban:

Cleaned a recently emptied keg of Yooper's Ruination clone and refilled it with 5 gallons of BM's Centennial Blonde. Still have 5 more gallons of blonde to bottle. Also bottled 5 gallons of IPA a couple of days ago. Weighed out grains and hops today for a 10 gallon batch of pale ale I am planning to brew tomorrow or Monday.

Bottled two cases of an ESB I had brewed 3 weeks ago. Tasty...! Gonna do the same to a cream ale batch next week.

Brewed up a hoppy blonde. 3C blonde, centennial, cascade, and citra. Yummy!

I did the same thing!
14# 2-row
1# Vienna
1# tortified Wheat
1# Crystal 10
... how close is your grain bill?

It's in the fermenter now. Pitching one 5.5 gal batch with 1272 and the other with 1098

Built a DIY stir plate, using the bottom tray of a pot, as it was the only housing I could find around the house. works well...

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

Not quite for beer but made a gallon batch of root beer so clean and sanitized bottles re hydrated yeast made the rootbeer and bottled might make another batch of cola this week too but haven't decided yet

Wired up my first STC-1000 temp controller, using a custom configuration. I used a dual socket, with one socket always on, and the other switches on for cooling.

Kegged my Roggenbier, and prepared for my brew day tomorrow (brewing a bitter, and maybe a blonde as well).

Hit my LHBS yesterday since I was close. Picked up grain and some 05 for a buddy to come over and brew an IPA today. Base grain is expensive when it's not by the bag! He's been out of brewing for a while and I've never made an IPA, so it should be fun. Will be my first time with leaf hops, also.

Maybe if I'm overcome by a sudden fit of not being lazy, I'll bottle some saison so I can get another one going....

Prepped a couple batches of beer for a local competition, and swapped freezers in the garage. I plan on using the 5 cubic foot freezer as my fermentation chamber once I do a little rearranging in the garage.

Cleaned a carboy this morning and just received a shipment from northern brewer for the saison I'm going to brew for my dad. I'm going to make a starter tonight once the wyeast smack pack swells up

Re-washing the last two jars of WY3056 I had settling in the fridge. These last two jars had more trub than yeast. Sanitized the empty jar to pour off yeast/liquid in. Then I have a previous batch of WY3056 to start washing. Then some WL029,two batches worth. They were rinsed out of the fermenters into the fridge till I finally got a 1 gallon glass jug to wash them in. Playin catch up now...

Latest posts

Back